Bike Won't Start After Rear Cct Replacement

Guest QuarterTonWithCheese

Guest QuarterTonWithCheese

Hi, been here a while but have never posted.

Yesterday, I parked my 2002 to do new tires and both CCTs. The bike is my daily driver and never has hiccuped once starting or anything (~65k mile bike). I pulled the fairings and following the procedure in the manual and the recommended posts here, replaced the rear CCT, gasket, and washer. This happened with no incident, however, when I tried to start the bike right after, no dice. Battery is good, all systems appear normal, FI light turns on and turns off as fuel priming is audible when kill switch is disengaged. The starter switch turns the motor strongly and it fires weakly but will not engage to a running state.

Thinking back to when I did the CCT, when I inserted the new one, the arm did not extend right away and the key just fell out the end when I tightened the unit to the head. But when I pulled it to check after it did not start, the arm was extended and I used the tool to retract the arm. The CCT looks fine and seems to be functioning as intended. Replacing the old one did not make the bike run. No strange sounds can be heard upon cranking the bike.

Is it possible that I messed up the cam chain or valves in any way? I am at a loss here. I am thinking of pulling the valve cover and inspecting the chain, but I thought I would appeal to you fine folks for any and all input.

Please and thank you.

-Jacob

I would reset both tensioners by winding them back with a screw driver and then letting go. Then turn the engine over by hand a revolution and then resetting the ccts again. If this doesn't fix it, then you should do a compression check and or check your cam timing to see if some how you threw off the timing.

Archived