Just Ordered One

DanH

Hello everyone,

I test rode a 1200F a couple of days ago and was thinking of buying next year but the damn thing was so much fun compared to my current NC750X that I put a deposit down today for a red one with DCT and the touring pack. All I have to do now is spend every waking moment for the next couple of weeks compulsively looking at pictures and videos.

Thanks,

Dan

Is it more than the power? I'm wracking my brain trying to settle on what I'm buying next year, and without putting you all through my scattered thought process as to why, I'm basically at an impass as I can't decide between VFR1200, (2014) Ninja 1k, BMW K1300S. Of course, I've never been on any of those (yet), but they all seem to meet my handling/power needs well enough. (I think the BMW is probably dropping off the shortlist tho)

I'm also coming from a VFR background ('06), I'm curious to why you like it so much better? I do love what I read about the power though.

I went with the VFR because the ergos put most of my weight on the saddle (as opposed to the bars), I adore the sound and torque provided by the V4 engine and wanted shaft drive. The BMW was also on my short list too but I found the VFR to be more refined and the luggage options were better. The 1200 is also very relaxed at motorway speeds, it's almost patiently waiting for the command to corner rather than trying to interpret your every shuffle as an order to start turning. DCT was the icing on the cake.

Is it more than the power?

To tell you the truth, the power was not the thing about the 1200 that attracted me. In fact, I was afraid that it would be too powerful. I am actually kind of glad that the 1st & 2nd gear are retarded from the factory right now. Until I can get more comfortable with it, I don't want to make a mistake with the throttle and fly off the back.

I do know that I will be doing the ECU flash after I become used to the bike though. It is very noticeable, and it may even be an issue of safety. When you need that power at take off and it isn't there, it can be very discerning.

The attraction of the 1200 to me was the updated technology from the 5th gen. Inverted forks, massively improved braking & ABS, shaft, and integrated pannier mounting kit... really compelling stuff!

I'm basically at an impass as I can't decide between VFR1200, (2014) Ninja 1k, BMW K1300S. Of course, I've never been on any of those (yet), but they all seem to meet my handling/power needs well enough.

I looked at the Ninja since I know someone who has a 2013 and loves it dearly. However, one sit on it and I knew it wasn't for me. There is nothing wrong with it, it just wasn't me. I will say that the build quality is not as good as the Honda. It's good, but the VFR1200 is top shelf no doubt.

I can't comment on the BMW, they just don't appeal to me so I have never even looked at one. I did look at an Aprilla Futura and a ZX14 though. But I just got too good of a deal on a VFR and I just love Honda's in general.

I'm also coming from a VFR background ('06), I'm curious to why you like it so much better? I do love what I read about the power though.

I started off on a Reflex 250, then a Nighthawk 750, then the '99 VFR800, and then the '07 VFR. Of all of the bikes I've owned, the '07 by far was the most disappointing. Maybe if I had never ridden the 5th gen I would have been fine with it. But the 5th gens motor was so good, the VTEC just couldn't compare. I thought I would adjust to it since there are many people on this forum that are far and away better riders than I and they expect more from their bike than I do. But after 2500 miles on it, I just didn't "feel" it.

The 7th gen motor however, is a gem! The character of it reminds me very much of my 5th gen, it is just missing the GDC and exhaust note. But I am finding that I can forgive that since it is such a fun bike.

• Member Contributer

We are a picky bunch aren't we ...

A fellow member here was determining whether a 5th or 6th was in his future. He's leaning toward the 5th because the 6th was twitchy at low speed. Members are complaining about the 7th having the fuel restriction in 1st and 2nd gear and yet here's a post afraid of launching off without it. I'm looking at a throttle cam to smooth mine out - especially when wearing the cold-weather gear.

We're just never happy. Honda's damned if they and ... :).

• Member Contributer

I can't decide between VFR1200, (2014) Ninja 1k, BMW K1300S.

I couldn't decide between the VFR or K-S, either. So I own both and set up the K12S for touring/ 2 up rides and the VFR800 for local duty, weekend trips, or track time. I am likely to trade in the BMW for whatever Honda develops to replace the current ST1300 for a bit more weather protection and V4 sound upgrade.

VTEC adds an extra layer of complexity to an already over-developed and under-stressed engine. Now if I can tune it to about 50hp, I will stay out of trouble.

Archived