Handlebar Vibration

BiKenG

Not complaining of it at all, just curious as to what others have found when changing the handlebars.

Honda go to quite a lot of trouble to insert special rubber damped weights inside the handlebars to reduce vibration. The fact that there are many different actual weights indicates they try, at least to some extent, to match the weight to the vibration characteristics of the engine. Then when owners change their bars, what happens to the weights?

I have found in the past that if the weights are simply removed and different ends installed, there was definitely more vibration, but that wasn't a V4. So can anyone who HAS changed their VFR1200 bars help with answers to the following questions:-

• Did you swap the weights over to the new bars?
  • How did the vibration compare?

I'm going to try some different bars and will try with and without the original weights, but I wondered what others' experience of this was.

Installed Helibars. I re-used the weights (inserts and bar ends) from the OEM clip-ons. I didn't notice a change in vibes... that was until I installed my DAM exhaust. The exhaust had more effect on the vibrations than anything else.

The open exhaust causes a lot more vibes. I can feel it in the bars, in the seat and in the foot pegs. Same thing happened on my 9er when I installed an aftermarket exhaust. On the 1200, most (if not all) the extra vibes go away when I put the baffle insert in the exhaust.

I've now just fitted some high rise clip-ons and due to the problems with getting clearance for the Master cylinders they had to be mounted in such a way that required longer actual bars. So I made some at 300mm (about 2" longer than one would normally use) in aluminium and I didn't have any of the Honda weights to use. So as a quick fix for the ride today I just installed some cheap coloured aluminium bar ends that affix with a rubber block inside the bar and that expands as you turn the screw and holds them in place. I've tried these exact ones before on an SP-1 (RVT1000) from which I had removed the inner weights, but found the increase in bar vibration to be unacceptable and so reverted to standard.

But today, on the VFR1200 with Al. bars and NO inner weights, the vibration was EXACTLY THE SAME as standard bars. Really. I could even claim it felt a bit less, but I could be fooling myself there. However, there is NO question that the vibration level is certainly at least as good as the standard bars etc.

I must admit to being slightly surprised by this, but very pleased all the same. Makes it much easier, not having to worry about installing those inner weights when changing bars.

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

THREAD RESURRECT - which Vibranators did you buy? There doesn't seem to be a specific design for the VFR1200...

I'd like to kill some of the vibrations I'm getting on my 2010 VFR1200F.

Thanks,

-Dan

• Member Contributer

I put Helibars on my 1200 last week, and fearing problems removing the OEM weights, I used a new set of OEM weights purchased from Procaliber. No vibrations at all in the bars before or after the change. As it turned out, the original weights pulled out of the OEM bars no problem.

THREAD RESURRECT - which Vibranators did you buy? There doesn't seem to be a specific design for the VFR1200...

I'd like to kill some of the vibrations I'm getting on my 2010 VFR1200F.

Thanks,

-Dan

Go to street bikes and pick Honda

Archived