Reg/rec Replacement?

Moose

August 2013, battery went flat and wouldn't charge. After investigation it had killed over 75% of my stator. Bought a new one and fitted it. All good although i never seemed to have the same power levels I'd had previously.

Move on just over a year and I'm starting to have the same issues with the new stator.

Could this be the reg/rec failing?

How do i test it?

What is a good UK replacement?

Where is the reg/rec in a 2009 A-8?

Tia

Moose

• Member Contributer

So I'm not double posting the same stuff, check thread post #5 on "The Drill"

- It still spins my brain on how many hundreds of electrical failure posts there are......

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79239-5th-gen-electrical-issues/

Thank you. Sorry for asking the age old question but i trawled through so many threads but struggled to find anything for odours like me. Where would the r&r be on my A8?

• Member Contributer

Thank you. Sorry for asking the age old question but i trawled through so many threads but struggled to find anything for odours like me. Where would the r&r be on my A8?

N.P. I was musing over the high number of charging system failures on VFRs

------- 2008? 6th gen is front right mounted near the frame. Here's a pic one on a fix it job.

RRMountingPlate05.jpg

Just a slight update. When my stator fried in august last year, i replaced it with one from Electrex. The issue I'm having now is slightly different than before.

When fitting the stator i also fitted an LED to the dash to indicate charging status so I'd get a warning of possible failure. The led works on a traffic light system green being good and red being fubar with varying states in between.

My honda heated grips also flash when insufficient charging.

For the last couple of weeks the grips have been flashing but not all the time and my led is amber or flashing amber to red when using indicator brake together, but then yesterday was green for around 10 minutes when riding home from work.

Does this sound more likely to be an intermittent wiring issue, stator or reg rec or summink different?

Any advice or help appreciated

• Member Contributer

I alway's change both(R\R) when the stator fries. If you want pull the fuse or fuses of the extra's(heated grips or whatever) and see if it stops and you mite find a problem with your extra electrical devises. But I suspect the R\R .

Archived