Vfr800 Starter Clutch Problems

Guest VFRisKing

Guest VFRisKing

I am sorry, this was posted in another fórum but I haven't received any feedback and I though about asking your opinion...hope you don't mind:

I am having a problem with my VFR. Some time ago it began to not start on occasion...all it did was click and nothing happened. This was temporarily solved by pushing the bike back and forth while in gear to 'unjamm' the situation.

I ordered a new starter motor but wasn't sure that he was to blame so decided to look into my starter clutch. All looked good, gears, springs, lock mechanism...

The starter arrived today and I started assembling everything back again. New oil (Jaso-Ma 20W50) and filter as well.

When I tried to start the bike it started right up but the strangest noise came from the engine. I suspect misassembly of starter clutch but want your opinion. The following pictures describe my assembly procedure for your evaluation. I did all this twice with the same sound as result. The manual isn't as clear as it could be.

1 - Pushed the first pair as far as it went:
DSCN0031.jpg

2 - This part is showing some damage / wear - I think this may be where the noise is coming from. I don't understand the function of this part. it does not snap in the next one...
DSCN0036.jpg

3 - Placed
DSCN0038.jpg

4 - Place clutch and push as far as possible
DSCN0039.jpg

5 - Place 'timing circle' - it doesn't go all the way - this seems strange. Torque to 106nm as per manual
DSCN0041.jpg

6 - Place idle gear and oil the whole assembly
DSCN0043.jpg

Now a little clip of the sound produced - Not for the faint of heart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLJ...ature=youtu.be

Many thanks for your help...this is eating my spirit away...
Paulo

• Member Contributer

Hello Paulo and welcome to VFRD from up north.

I donot own an 800 so my clutch is different and thus my question can only be if you assembled ALL the parts in the right order?

post-8974-0-07185700-1409916327.jpg

While working on my clutch, part #11 (a spacer) in this picture fell out from behind the gear; I just caught it in the corner of my eye rolling away. Had I not, I might have assembled the lot without....

post-8974-0-78228600-1409916454.jpg

Does your clutch move freely when pulling the lever?

I believe you just solved my issue.

I think part # 12 from first diagram was assebled the wrong way as you can see in my picture #3.

The day is suddenly brighter. Thanks a lot,

Paulo

• Member Contributer

Wahey!!!!

Once you fixed it properly, we need of course an introduction post by you in the Welcome section :beer:

You will find that this VFR forum is the best! (must admit I've never looked at any other US based VFR forum...)

• Member Contributer

FYI, I clicked on this thread in part because I had never heard of a 5th-gen with a starter clutch problem! And your video (thanks for the warning) did not sound at all like the starter clutch problem that occurs on the 750s (which is a screech that only happens when the starter is engaged). I hope nothing has been damaged from this, but I would guess that this is a re-assembly problem as mentioned above. Good luck!

Ciao,

Archived