800Fi Gravity Feed

B4V4

• Member Contributer

Buried this question in another topic but thought I'd add this to make it clearer.

I have the tank off and wondering about simply gravity-feeding the gas line - whether there is enough pressure to keep the bike going.

I ask because I can "squirt" a shot of petro into each fuel body to fire up the 99 for a cycle, but beyond that nada. I did have the bike running on 2 cylinders last fall so of course I'll be troubleshooting the injectors.

Any assistance on the validity of running the bike without the tank or pump feed would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh and pic ...

post-26355-0-29272400-1407613709.jpg

Any bike or car whit a FI (fuel injection) have to have a pump, gravity is not enough.....works only on engines whit carburattors if tank is high enough.

• Member Contributer

That's what I was thinking when I couldn't get a sustained run. I regularly use a funnel & hose, but as you stated, never set it up with FI.

Thanks!

The pump isn't so much to feed the fuel from the tank as it is to create the necessary pressure to atomize the fuel when it's fed through the injectors. WIthout the pump, you wouldn't have an pressure in the rail and the fuel would just dribble into the cylinders and it won't run.

• Member Contributer

Oh that poor bike!!!

You've got that right. The previous owner dropped the bike into a car, uninsured pushed it home, draped a barbecue cover over it in the back driveway and left it there ... for 8 years.

post-26355-0-98924800-1407630664.jpg

• Member Contributer

The standard fuel pressure is 250 kPa; to get that sort of pressure just through gravity you will need to have your fuel source about 30 meters high! A simple 12v powered fuel pump should do the same, try a boat shop or eBay.

Archived