94 Vfr Fuel Pump Making Occasional "tick" Sound

Guest RC30guy

Guest RC30guy

Hello, wondering if someone can offer some insight ?

Background,I have a 1994 VFR 750 12,000 miles garage kept,

It started and ran fine for about a 10 mile trip a month back until I shut it off for a quick stop , when I hit the start button...nothing...dead dead, dead ...no click, no headlights nothing,

Pulled into a garage and tried to jump it from another batter but nothing...

luckily it bump started and I rode it home with the speedo and tach acting very erratic,...

anyway FF to today I just got around to swapping the battery from my 1998 VFR 800Fi and the 1994 750 fired right up and runs with good voltage at battery ,

OK so the weird part ... am now hearing an occasional TICK"......"TICK"......"TICK" every 7 or 8 seconds coming from the fuel pump and also noticed a small amount of redish oil behind the front solenoid just above it,

Not sure if I should replace the solenoid or fuel pump or just run it until something quits,

Anyone else have this experience ?

BTW had to replace my reg Rec on my 1998 800 Fi last year after it quit while riding.

Thanks for the replies !

Hopefully it was just the old battery as the bike did start and run fine right up until I shut it off when it all began especially after connecting the good battery with jumper cables I turned key on and nothing came on ...zero. This made me think my ignition or relay went bad as I have never seen a low battery that couldnt be jumped from a good battery ?

Kinda holding my breath on the next ride that Gremlin doesnt reappear and leave me stranded !

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the links Dutchy,

I read your post to "Hell" but there was no follow up of what the cause was...did it turn out to be the fuel pump contacts ?

Also saw a poster recommended cleaning the contacts every so often, wonder if thats an annual cleaning or every so many 1000's of miles ? I have never cleaned mine but my 1994 has under 13K miles on it spending most of its adult life in the garage.

BTW I LOVE the styling of the 94,95,96 VFR 750 and it does remind me of my old RC30 but the 1998 is quite a bit faster.

• Member Contributer

At that mileage, yours should be fine.

But with the rear side panels of (the tail section comes of in one piece) it is an easy check. While off, you can inspect the other electrical components.

Measure resistance and voltage from stator and rr.

But in all likelyhood it was the battery. If you still have the old one, have it load tested at a garage. If they say that it 100% fine let us know

On my bike I later found the RR was duff, and replaced some scotch-lock wires connectors with posilocks.

My 4th gen has nearly 50k miles.

Archived