Choppy Throttle: Bazzaz &/or Power Commander

elfreako

Right, I'm sure someone else has answered my query somewhere on the net, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Forgive me too, I don't know too much about altering the power of a bike.

I have bought a 2010 VFR1200F two months ago and finally got it out on a south tour of UK last week. There were two things that were bugging me a bit; 1st & 2nd gear power slump, and slight on/off throttle choppy-ness when in 3rd at mid range revs. I know the power slump will easily be fixed by a Bazzaz Z-Bomb unit, at the cost of the gear indicator being wrong, but I can't figure out why 'sometimes' at mid range 3rd gear (or higher, at times) can be a bit choppy.

I figure that installing a Power Commander will smooth this out, but does having the Bazzaz installed give incorrect readings to the Power Commander? Also, I've done some interwebs searchings and have come to the conclusion that a Power Commander isn't going to do much at all without the bike going to a Dyno for mapping, which is too much effort for me. Or am I wrong, by installing a Power Commander and Bazzaz with a stock bike (but with the stock exhaust flap constantly open) smooth out the power range of the bike? If so, how does a Power Commander work in that way without having to go to a Dyno, how does it know what areas would be need to be corrected?

Ah, also... I'm looking into replacing the stock air filter with a K&N when it's due. I'm guessing that's going to help a bit too.

• Member Contributer

You might want to look into the Guhl ECU reflash, it takes care of several of the common issues/complaints with the VFR1200. Not sure if it only applies to US models but worth looking into.

Check out this post for more info: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/76615-ecu-re-flash-all-4-threads-merged/?hl=%2Becu+%2Breflash#entry923011

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

I'd still recommend mapping your bike. If anything it's good for the motor for air and fuel to be at the correct ratios for your geographical area. Don can rough shot it, but nothing will be as good as a custom map. It's just a good investment.

Regarding Dynoject (power commander) or Bazzaz, I let the tuner choose. First thing I would do is find out who is a reputable tuner in your area. find some blokes who've had theirs done and can vouch. Once you have that sorted, ask him his tuning preference, Bazzaz or PC's. They usually favor one or the other and some won't car and can tune anything.

Remember what going to HD did on your teli? That's the difference between riding that thing now vs. riding with a custom map built.

Right, I'm sure someone else has answered my query somewhere on the net, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Forgive me too, I don't know too much about altering the power of a bike.

I have bought a 2010 VFR1200F two months ago and finally got it out on a south tour of UK last week. There were two things that were bugging me a bit; 1st & 2nd gear power slump, and slight on/off throttle choppy-ness when in 3rd at mid range revs. I know the power slump will easily be fixed by a Bazzaz Z-Bomb unit, at the cost of the gear indicator being wrong, but I can't figure out why 'sometimes' at mid range 3rd gear (or higher, at times) can be a bit choppy.

I figure that installing a Power Commander will smooth this out, but does having the Bazzaz installed give incorrect readings to the Power Commander? Also, I've done some interwebs searchings and have come to the conclusion that a Power Commander isn't going to do much at all without the bike going to a Dyno for mapping, which is too much effort for me. Or am I wrong, by installing a Power Commander and Bazzaz with a stock bike (but with the stock exhaust flap constantly open) smooth out the power range of the bike? If so, how does a Power Commander work in that way without having to go to a Dyno, how does it know what areas would be need to be corrected?

Ah, also... I'm looking into replacing the stock air filter with a K&N when it's due. I'm guessing that's going to help a bit too.

I'm inclined to think that what you call the choppiness in 3rd gear or higher is just the result of NOT having the diminished throttle opening response below 5000 RPM that first and 2nd have. Expect that when you plug in the Bazazz, which just changes the reporting of gear to the factor ECU, nothing more, that it will be MORE sensitive or choppy in the lower two gears. That's my experience. OTOH, with just a bit of riding and experience with the scooter, I've adapted easily to the throttle response, and now my ST1300 seems kind of leaden, if you will...

I've read up on the Ghul ECU re-mapping, which would be a great solution.... however, I live in the UK. I've been trying to find some sources here to see if they do it locally. Ideally I don't want to go to the huge effort of having the bike Dyno'd, it just seems long and a big wad of cash too.

If you are going to install a DJ Power Commander, and that is the way I would go if you are going to use a aftermarket fuel controller, I would inquire about getting a fuel map for your application from DJ in the UK and either have the dealer install it or do it yourself before installing the Power Commander. They have pretty good base maps based on their own dyno development work. In my experience if you have a stock or very close to stock bike they will get you pretty close to what a expensive custom map will. If you are not satisfied with the DJ supplied map after riding the bike for a while then you can always pay a dyno shop to make a new map.

As for Don Guhl as an alternative, both Crazybrother and I worked with him in the US to develop a ECU re-flash. I am very satisfied with the results but you would need to talk to Don about re-flashing a European ECU. I know he has done ECU re-flashes for other bikes from Europe and Asia but I don't want to speak for Don concerning this application. Be very cautious about other company's in Europe or Australia claiming to do ECU re-flashes on VFR 1200's. I have heard some horror stories and not one confirmed instance of a successful re-flash from anyone except Guhl on any of the VFR 1200 forums.

• Member Contributer

Don was able to create a custom fuel map for me and it works very well, it's rich in a couple of spots and that's it. So I too and very happy with Don's work. If I were you, then I would talk to Don, I'm sure he can help you out. Plus it would be cheaper than a PC and Bazzaz.

Nice one, thanks for the responses. I'm more interested in having my ECU flashed, but unfortunately I'm yet to find anyone in the UK who could do it. I'm a bit hesitant to send it to the states to have done, as I'm sure it might be a few weeks and customs might want hold it for ransom. Guess I'd better keep looking around, unless anyone knows anyone in the UK who can do it?

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Archived