Abs Light Issue

Guest NikB

Hello all!

This is my first post on VFRD as I only purchased my bike a week and a half ago, and the post has to do with my ABS light staying on even once I exceed 10km/h.

The bike is a 2003 VFR800 ABS with 43000km's and a Laser exhaust.

So for the short period of time i've had the bike, the ABS light has been on the whole time. I have done some research into different problems, downloaded the service manual and followed the ABS code diagnosis process of pulling the two ABS fuses, turning on the ignition at which point the ABS light should come on, then after 5 seconds it is supposed to shut off and at that point you are supposed to plug back in one of the two fuses, then the light will flash a certain number of times indicating which ABS issue you are having.

However, once I have pulled the two fuses and turned on the ignition, I wait the 5 seconds (or even more) and the ABS light does not shut back off, which is what is confusing me.

As I have read on the forums and found in the service manual, the ABS light can be triggered by low tire pressure, which is what I am assuming to be the cause as when I bought the bike 15 or so days ago, both the front and rear tires were 10 PSI too low.

My rotors are also quite warped and I have ordered new EBC rotors which should be in tomorrow, and installed tomorrow as well assuming they do not arrive warped (which I have heard can be an issue with the EBC rotors). I wouldn't think that warped rotors would cause the ABS light to stay on, but I'm new to bikes so who knows.

If anyone could provide some input on the issue, or have knowledge on something similar to this issue, it would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the advice, I absolutely love the bike!

The abs light does not go out till you start moving initially. Maybe one of your abs sensors is bad or excessively dirty and not reading correctly. there's two of them front and rear held on by two screws, and those sensors read the notched ring as the wheels turn, might try removing, clean and tap on them alittle. or the connector itself could have flakey corrosion from weather.

Archived