Pair Mod Syringe Plunger

Guest Luxen1

Guest Luxen1

I used the marble mod but I wasn't satisfied with the overall fit. I started looking around my house for something that would fit better and a syringe plunger that I had for my old printer refiller kit worked liked a glove. I goes in perfectly and creates an air tight blockage. The flat end is also a perfect fit for the hose and the airbox.

Unfortunately, my VFR800 6th gen doesn't fair well with any type of pair mod whatsoever. I runs really rough cold or hot. The RPM's are not affected but it makes the surging even worst. I guess the only other option would be a pcv but I'm not sure if I will keep the bike.

post-30738-0-40172600-1406056528.jpg

post-30738-0-57691700-1406056534.jpg

post-30738-0-72373000-1406056541.jpg

post-30738-0-19835400-1406056547.jpg

wouldn't it be easier just to keep everything in place as is and just unplug the PAIR Solenoid wire that's behind the air filter? so at least it would be easy to undo it if for some reason u just want to reverse the mode and get it back to original?

Guest Luxen1

Im totally stock, without rough running issues(never felt the need to depair), so I know the design works with out issues, the question is what is your issue.

As every owner of VFR knows, anything below 3K in the RPM realm gives you surging or rough idle couple with jerky or snatchy throttle. Since everybody and their grandmother swears that blocking the pair valves gives noticeable improvement and before spending money on plates I decided to do a cheap mod to see how the bike handle.

My bike has a steady idle at 1200 to 1300 rpms and it starts with no hesitation. It hasn't even reached 4k miles yet so there isn't anything wrong with it except being garaged for very long periods of times in Florida weather. I removed any slack it had in the throttle and that made a difference as far as low speed maneuvering however, it still surges under 3k and that's something you have to learn to live with. Some people have reported that even with a power commander the surging remains at low speed driving in the 2k range.

Guest Luxen1

wouldn't it be easier just to keep everything in place as is and just unplug the PAIR Solenoid wire that's behind the air filter? so at least it would be easy to undo it if for some reason u just want to reverse the mode and get it back to original?

Yes and I already tried that but the consensus among those in the know how was that by doing that, the pair valves would remain open in the absence of power. My Honda repair manual (2002-2007 [6th gen]) didn't specify whether or not cutting power to the solenoid disable the system altogether. What I got from disconnecting the plugs wasn't significant or made any noticeable effect.

My simple mod is easy reversible and it cuts all air from reaching the airbox. I didn't disconnect the power to the pair valves but at least in my bike it doesn't improve squat. Even tho plates are cheap it doesn't make sense to go through all that work for something that is not 100% proven to improve low speed riding???

• Member Contributer

Have you done any other of the recommended mods? Flapper valve, snorkel removal, O2 elims?

I have done all of these on my 08 and the improvement in low rev throttle response and mid-range torque is a noticeable improvement.

I am just in the process of ordering PAIR block off plates.

Is your experience the only one? If it is, then I suspect there may be something else afoot.

Guest Luxen1

Yes, tried flapper & the idle goes very erratic. Had plenty of 330 ohms resistors around the house & the O2 mod made the exhaust pop which this bike has never done before. The snorkel does nothing but give the bike a lower tone.

Like I mention before, the bike has a steady idle & starts right up without a problem. Introducing any of these mods makes the bike surge badly on idle, specially the O2 elimination. The idle doesn't drop but becomes jumpy or erratic. Any suggestions on this??

• Member Contributer

Fuel injector orifices may be giving an uneven spray pattern after sitting for so long without a lot of miles.... some of these mods may be making the mixture leaner at idle causing the surging