Vf500 - Any Lift Tricks?

Guest Acemon

Guest Acemon

There's no better way to kickstart a holiday weekend than putting new rubber on your wheels. I have a loaner bike lift, but after peering beneath the VF500 I don't see a safe way to jack it up. I definitely don't want to crush the exhaust box but didn't see a good spot for blocks between frame and lift.

Any suggestions?

My wife doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to use the guest bedroom to store the tank and plastic while doing the greasy work. I think getting the tank scratched would be worse than some grumbling from her.

• Member Contributer

Back in the day when I had an '86 VF500F, I thought that it went up on the centerstand fairly easily. That would take care of the rear.

I also seem to recall propping up the front of the bike with some solid wooden blocks underneath the front part of the frame rails, after the bike was up on the centerstand. That would take care of the front.

Of course, it's been 18 years since I had that bike, so my memory is kinda fuzzy on that topic. Hopefully another VF500 owner can provide a more definitive answer for you.

Good luck!

Ron

• Member Contributer

Hey Ace,

Ron is right, you can use some 2x4s or pieces of wood under the headers and frame. I also try to wedge a jack stand under each side of the engine or foot pegs for lateral stability. On the center stand that usually gives you room to get the wheel in and out. You may need to remove the front fender to make it easier.

Ded

• Member Contributer

Center stand and a gallon sized paint can under headers.

This is what I do with my 6 th gen.

You're not gona crush the headers.

• Member Contributer

I think without the lower fairing on it you can put jack stands under the frame rails. . . it's been a couple years though.

I have always put a giant tall soup can (or anything like this) on each side of the front wheel, removed the lower fork caps and left the forks sitting on the front axle, put my shoulder under the cowl and while lifting up, removed the axle, rolled the wheel out, then slid a board (keep it close where you can reach it) across the cans and lowered the forks to the board to rest.

Sure, it's ghetto. But I've down this a hundred times on all kinds of bikes for 20+ years without an issue. Started doing this in college when I was trying to save funds (and I'm not sure I even remember seeing a front wheel stand anywhere anyhow.)

Now, I have a Pitbull stand, but in the case of the VF500F it's of no use since the stand has to hold the forks by the bottom, and the axle is held in by the bottom caps. If you pull off the caps, you're looking at two threaded rods on the ends of the forks, which can't be held by the wheel stand. So, when I put new tires on my 84 and 85 500 recently, I used the can & board method.

You CAN get a front wheel stand that will let you hold the bike from the steering stem, but you'd have to remove the entire front cowl and the horn and horn bracket to use it.

Hope this helps.

Oh...and if you are doing both wheels, remove the rear first, then the front. Put the front back on first, b/c not having a rear wheel on gives you more room to lift the front end if you need it. Then put the rear on.

It's been so long since I've ridden a bike with a center stand that I'd forgotten about it. I'm glad I asked. Many thanks.

The wheels come off tomorrow and Saturday I'll be first in line at the local shop to get the tires swapped.

Archived