Yet Another Test Ride Report...

JZH

• Member Contributer

Third time's a charm, they say, so after booking and then cancelling two earlier test rides due to weather and then a bloody summer cold, I was finally able to ride the new VFR. Which I will heretofore refer to as "the new VTEC", because that's what it is. I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all. The old VTEC is a good bike, and so is the new VTEC. Just a bit updated, and of course, new. I think the 8th-gen is to the 6th-gen as the 4th-gen was to the 3rd-gen, IYKWIM.

I only got about 30min on the bike before the heavens opened, but it was enough to get a feel for the bike. I managed to video myself popping the seat, looking around the bike and measuring the mirrors and stuff--and the wet half of the ride, but I also took some pics:

post-362-0-66457200-1402142796.jpg

post-362-0-55203600-1402142798.jpg

post-362-0-02622300-1402142800.jpg

post-362-0-56289900-1402142801.jpg

post-362-0-05816500-1402142803.jpg

The new turn signal/horn button arrangement was very annoying. Why did they have to swap their positions around? Mirrors were okay, but still showed a lot of elbows. I thought that the VTEC transition was mostly noticeable from the change in noise output! Good thing it didn't have an aftermarket end can, or I would have been dancing in anti-social territory the whole ride, making it go PFFFFFOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHH!

In Europe we don't get a stripped-down model like you do in the 'States, so this one had ABS, traction control, HISS, centre stand, etc. The key was new (to me--maybe the 7th-gen already has this new type of key?)

Anyway, I think this bike will appeal to anyone who wants a VTEC and doesn't have one, as well to current VTEC owners who like to have the latest and trickest. I would probably not buy one, but mainly because I would currently prefer to get another 5th-gen, for London, this time in lovely blue...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks JZH

What about power ? as to the 5th gen you ride .

It's been quite a while since I rode my own 5th-gen (w/o the A&A kit), but I did ride a 6th-gen a couple of years ago in Oz, and the power seemed roughly about the same. Very VFR-like!

Amusingly, one of the things I did during my time with the bike was look under the seat; I even inventoried the contents of the tool kit on my video. However, I noticed that the shock adjuster tool was already missing! Naughty peeps...

Ciao,

Archived