Christchurch To Kaikoria New Zealand

Guest retrotech

Guest retrotech

It was a beautiful day yesterday (sunday) so a friend and I rode to Kaikoria and back, here's the trip on gmaps http://tinyurl.com/mdb9fcg This was the first long ride on my 5th Gen ;)

I got nailed by the cops for crossing the white line :( they had a sting setup and had nailed some other riders right in front of me to. That cost me $100 and riding a non learner approved bike cost me another $100.

I was riding with a friend on his RG250 (he may be small but he is mighty!) man he can ride that thing, I've seen many guys on litre bikes that can't hang with him on the twisties.

Top of the hill pass

post-30215-0-17491000-1399855051.jpg

At a friends house in Kaikoria

post-30215-0-42125600-1399855141.jpg

Kaikoria on a beautiful day

post-30215-0-29649800-1399855234.jpg

Saturday I went for a ride over the port hills, sadly the truck traffic up there has made a mess of the road which is a bummer as it was the best riding road close to home

post-30215-0-31348400-1399855395.jpg

This is a video of a run over there on my GSX1100 during summer https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14939908/over%20the%20hill%207-12-13.mp4

Ahh, my jealousy rages. Lived briefly in NZ years ago and riding the South Island on a VFR would definitely be a dream. Glad someone gets to do it.

• Member Contributer

Nice looking 5th gen. After visiting both islands, I've always wanted to go back and ride N.Z. Great scenery and the nicest people you'll find anywhere.

I'm not sure I know the significance of crossing a white line in N.Z. - does it mean "no passing zone"?

Nice looking 5th gen. After visiting both islands, I've always wanted to go back and ride N.Z. Great scenery and the nicest people you'll find anywhere.

I'm not sure I know the significance of crossing a white line in N.Z. - does it mean "no passing zone"?

I cut a corner and went over the center line when I wasn't passing woo freaking hoo

I spent 2 days in Portland about a year ago, had an awesome time. Drinking, Strippers and shooting crazy fire arms ....well crazy by NZ standards =-)

Ah.... hmmm. it's KAIKOURA and OTIRA.

Kaikoura is famous for its crayfish (rock lobsters... Rock, Rock, Rock Lobster!!), and kai koura is actually named after them; 'kai' means 'food', and 'koura' is the Maori name for crayfish.

Oh - and it's a very beautiful place, great for whale-watching, fishing, sight-seeing, riding motorcycles.....

Ah.... hmmm. it's KAIKOURA and OTIRA.

Kaikoura is famous for its crayfish (rock lobsters... Rock, Rock, Rock Lobster!!), and kai koura is actually named after them; 'kai' means 'food', and 'koura' is the Maori name for crayfish.

Oh - and it's a very beautiful place, great for whale-watching, fishing, sight-seeing, riding motorcycles.....

Oops sorry my spell check doesn't do Maori. Thanks for the correction I've changed them =-)

....I failed english 3 years straight too, if it wasn't for the spell check I'd read like a 12 year old

Archived