Joe Rocket Coat Options And A "feature" Question

ember1205

I have been looking for a riding coat, and like the Joe Rocket Radar as an option. Then, I looked at the Radar Dark and realized that it lacks the "speed hump" on the back. What is the real-world value of having this option for someone that rides more casually on the street as opposed to aggressive street / track riding?

I am also liking the Reactor 3.0 coat and wonder who can comment on which of these as being better than the other.

Thanks!

Depends how fast your 'casual' is. As I understand it, it is an aerodynamic aid. Probably from 70 mph and up, much like the wing on cars.

Brian

• Member Contributer

I don't really think the speed hump is necessary on a street jacket. If you're hitting 150 at the track, then go for it.

I ran the Honda branded version of the Atomic 4.0 jacket yesterday and like it very much. It would not fare well during summer, though. It did great in rain!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update... I bought a Resistor in the black and yellow scheme. Looks nice, is a reasonable match to the bike colors, and fits quite well. I used the sizing chart info on the Joe Rocket web site to determine what size I would need and it was perfect.

I also happened to pick up a UFO 2.0 in a size too large (now for sale: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/2750-xxl-joe-rocket-ufo-20-jacket/) and a Ballistic 3.0 full leather that I will use for early and late season riding or longer distance. I believe the Ballistic is also a size too big, but the leather makes it so that it still fits fairly snugly.

I have had two different Joe Rocket jackets. I currently have an Atomic as my Winter jacket. I have Really liked both JR's that I have had. Excellent long lasting quality (I used the first one, a Ballistic, for 5 years and sold it for $75), good features and not too expensive.

Archived