Gilles Variobar Risers

Texfoto

Question

• Member Contributer

I'm trying to sit more upright on my 5th gen and reduce the strain on my neck and back. I have done a search all over this site and the Internet for Variobars but it seems these are few and far between.

I have considered Helibars but I can't persuade myself to go with them as I cannot get used to the look of them. In fact, they look kind of ugly in some pictures.

Does anyone have any experience with installing the Variobars? Pics would be even better. I know they look good but details of the install and any gotchas and must haves are what I'm looking for. I'm considering their 100mm extension but can't figure out whether this requires cable extensions for the various connections to the handle bars. Any help would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

FYI to hilbily...I just bought a set of these on ebay here in the UK. They are 50mm rise but that is with them turned the direction yours are now. I'm confident I can mount them the direction in the pics in this thread to take full advantage of them. At 50mm I will not have to change out any cables or hoses. 70mm is the max you can go on these to avoid changing things out.

The ones I just purchased are the gold/brass looking colour with matching bar end weights. I'll be getting them powder coated into either black or a matte silver finish. It will probably be a few weeks before I can get these installed but when I re-visit I'll have pics and possibly a video.

I got covered up this weekend so I didn't make progress on mine. I plan on getting the ears cut off of mine this week and then start messing with getting the bars set up. I really hope that the 70mm max you stated in wrong. I know the 80s that I have worked before its just they were limited to no adjustment where the PO had set them up. I think once I can turn the banjo's a little they will work fine. If not then I'll just not use the full adjustment and get what I can out of them. I'll try to get photos along the way also.

• Member Contributer

Check out these two links. They may help. One lists the rise in lengths and they mention a wiring extension kit. Don't worry yet. You might be able to get away with it.

MANUAL
http://www.gillestooling.com/uploads/manual/LU_A100_RC46_manual.pdf

BROCHURE
http://www.gillestooling.com/uploads/presentation_engl/LU_A100_RC46_presentation_engl.pdf

Thanks for the links. Working on it a little tonight. Thinking the po already put longer lines on. I can probably go 120mm with the slack I have. I snapped a few photos. Ill try to put those up soon. Still need to get a second set of hands so I can dremel off the ears and ill be in business.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

how have you managed to align the switchs - they have a tab in there, did you grind them off or the handle bar came with it ?

sy7yju5e.jpg

As you're looking at this picture, is the left stock? And the right Variobar?

Yes you are correct. I have put the variobar on the clutch side. There is still adjustments that I can make but this give a good idea of what the 80 mm riser will do for you.

how have you managed to align the switchs - they have a tab in there, did you grind them off or the handle bar came with it ?

I am not sure if the po drilled the new bars or if they came like that but the new bars have holes in them so that the switch bodies will lock in place. I can then rotate the bar front or back to line up the switch how I like.

• Member Contributer

They look great and your pics will be a big help for me. Any tips or gotchas you can give on the install would be appreciated.

Judging by the reversed mount they look like you also probably shortened the reach required which is what I'm also after.

• Member Contributer

Just figured out that I have purchased a set of variobars with 100mm risers.

My two issues now are how to change them from gold to aluminum or black (paint stripping aluminum?) and whether I'll need to extend the cables for this to work. I'm checking the bike now and debating how difficult this is.

They look great and your pics will be a big help for me. Any tips or gotchas you can give on the install would be appreciated.

Judging by the reversed mount they look like you also probably shortened the reach required which is what I'm also after.

Biggest bit of advice is a second set of hands. I used a dremel with the bigest cutoof wheel I could get. low rpm on the dremel adn slow going and the ears where nothing. The second set of hands is useful for twsting things around and holding them so you can cut. Once the ears were off it was cake. Be careful when you loosen the banjo bolts to rotate them. When they break loose it happens fast and will be very easy to loosen it to much. You want them only loose enough to rotate. I never got any leaks or drops so I am hoping no problems with either control. if I have any I'll repost. If I remember right the clucth banjo will try ti twist back down as you tighten the bolt back and the brake will twist up as you tighten it so make sure you are ready for that. Give everything a loose fit first. I had to make several adjustments to get it where I wanted it. They did shorten up my reach some as well as give me lift.

Just figured out that I have purchased a set of variobars with 100mm risers.

My two issues now are how to change them from gold to aluminum or black (paint stripping aluminum?) and whether I'll need to extend the cables for this to work. I'm checking the bike now and debating how difficult this is.

I have the 80 mm and I am almost sure I could have done the 100 mm no problem. You may have to reroute the throttle cables on the left side of the frame but that shouldn't be hard.

• Member Contributer

Thanks hilbily. Helps a lot as I've been researching this all day long. Good to get your feedback on the 100mm and 80mm. I have a 5th gen but they should be very similar.

I found between pics on the web and the instructions I can mount them just like you did and I can re-route the throttle cable on the 5th gen from between the fairing and fork to between the fork and frame which will give it more slack. That was the last piece of this puzzle I was concerned with. Hopefully the brake and clutch line give me no slack trouble.

My father-in-law has a Dremmel so for a few beers I'm sure he'll lend a hand.

By the way, as you sawed off the ears holding the brake/clutch lines in place (on the reservoir), what did you do with the open edge once it was cut? Did you just leave it or seal it with any sort of paint or sealant?

Thanks hilbily. Helps a lot as I've been researching this all day long. Good to get your feedback on the 100mm and 80mm. I have a 5th gen but they should be very similar.

I found between pics on the web and the instructions I can mount them just like you did and I can re-route the throttle cable on the 5th gen from between the fairing and fork to between the fork and frame which will give it more slack. That was the last piece of this puzzle I was concerned with. Hopefully the brake and clutch line give me no slack trouble.

My father-in-law has a Dremmel so for a few beers I'm sure he'll lend a hand.

By the way, as you sawed off the ears holding the brake/clutch lines in place (on the reservoir), what did you do with the open edge once it was cut? Did you just leave it or seal it with any sort of paint or sealant?

I just left the cuts open and exposed. I know that I have some touchup paint somewhere in my mess of a basement and once I find it I plan on covering it with that. Being that it is aluminum I'm not really worried about it. My control are gray to begin with so you can't even see the cuts they blend in so well.

Just took her out for a test ride. Now that my hands are in a different position it will take a few rides for my muscles to adjust and that is to be expected. I am definitely more upright and in a more relaxed balanced position, its much nicer. Now for the most suprising plus. The bike feels 100 lbs lighter and is 100 times more flickable. With the bars up more I am not leaning over so far and carrying my weight on the bars and I dont feel like im pushing down on them and making the steering heavy. I cannot wait for some good backroads to really give it a run. I am very glad this topic and post got started. To think I almost sold these things.

• Member Contributer

That's good to hear. I think it makes total sense about the bike feeling more flickable.

I read somewhere that gripping the tank with your legs helps take away the front end pressure/weight we feel with our forward lean seating position on sport bikes. This especially works well when going on downhill turns. Downhill turns really makes the front end feel like it has too much weight on it but it is mostly due to us leaning on the handlebars. Gripping with the legs alleviates that and allows one to loosen the forward lean death grip we have on the bike. I imagine your raised bars do exactly the same thing.

I received an email back from Gilles that stated I do not need an extension kit for the 100mm risers. I think the documents are a bit misleading as I believe the extension kit is the actual riser themselves and not any cable extension kit. Once I get the gold color changed to I'll post before and after pics of mine.

Archived