17" Front Wheel For An Fg - Options?

Hawkati

Really sorry - this has probably been done to death enough times already, but what's the least grief stricken way of converting from the 16" original?

Would a FK fit straight in or a CBR600F? I'm looking at using the same wheel spindle, spacers & discs.....

Cheers loads in advance & feel free to ridicule the rookie!jamess

• Member Contributer

I've heard the CBR600F 'Hurricane' front wheel works and has the speedo pickup as well. Aesthetically different, though.

The 1998-89 VFR750 had a 17" front wheel, but it might be hard to find one.

cheers for your answers.....plotting decent wheel/tyre sizes....it'll actually work out cheaper than keeping the originals since i'll be able to fit scrubs.

The front wheel from a 88-89 model does not fit. (Been there tried it, still have that wheel collecting dust. :angry: ) The wheel hub is 11 mm wider. The cbr 600 hurricane wheel fits without any modification.

The rear wheel from the 88-89 model fits without any modification. I have done the conversion on my 86 750 and fitted a 110 front and a 150 rear tyre. Modern sport tyre's are much more sticky to the road, so my corner speed is much higher.

• 1 month later...

I also had a 600F Hurricane front wheel on my -87 RC24

gallery_880_2173_169979.jpg

And like sade its a straight fit. Problem whit it is its as slim as the orgianl 16", so at least whit a 110/70 front the profile gets bad at the eges and is not so nice, so a 110/80 is perferd. I think the stock 16" is better in that sens, as the tire has a higher profil and the tire stay round and nice. Also conventing the rear to a later RC24 17", that also is a straight fit, need the high profile tire or the rear will get lower and slow steering. Good if you are short thro....saddle comes closer to ground. You can afcorse lower the fork in the triples, 17mm is max you can do, then the wheel hits the radiator if fork bottoms out, and it does when braking really hard!(at least whit stock springs)

A conventoin I had liked to do to my (before I got tempted to get a 5th gen) is to get a NC24 VFR400R 16" front wheel (shold be straight fit) that has same look like the 3rd gen on wheels and get a CBR600F2 rear wheel whit a matching look and run a stock 110/90-16 front and a 150/70-17 rear. But like said, it just beacame a plan.

By the way the brake discs in the pic above are NC24 VFR400R ones.

Archived