Clutch Lifter Rod Question

expvet

• Member Contributer

I have gone into my clutch on an 06 VFR with about 3,700 miles in order to research a buzzing sound that I hear at around 4000 rpm and found that the clutch lifter rod has some burring and wear lines on it. I have included some pictures. In the one with the full rod area A heading towards area B has 2 etched black lines that do not catch a fingernail, a smooth discolored area and 2 small gouges that barely catch a fingernail. These are seen better in area A closeup shots. Area B is a lightly burred area that entends between the 2 arrows in the middle of the rod and heading towards area C there a two gouges almost in the same place and size as the ones in area A. The rod when you run it across 2 glass tables roll unevenly and it is pretty clear that it is out of true. I am going to replace it of course but does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this?

post-24160-0-33774400-1394841418.jpg

post-24160-0-70369600-1394841430.jpg

post-24160-0-76779500-1394841435.jpg

post-24160-0-63381000-1394841446.jpg

The two lines are from the seal wearing against the rod.

Whenever I have my countershaft cover off, I always remove that rod, clean it off, and reverse it's direction so any wear gets spread onto the opposite sides.

No idea how yours got bent though.

• Member Contributer

I am the second owner and although the bike has less than 4000 miles the prior owner may have opened up the clutch and possibly overtorqued somewhere. Also the rod may just have not been machined well and was never in true. Regardless, a new one is $15.00 and worth swapping out as a precaution. Thanks for the replies.

Archived