How Noisy Should She Be?...

Jobiwan

Just picked up a 1986 VFR700F - 47,000 miles

Only two known issues - one being an engine stutter that happened once every 10 rides or so... bike lost enough power for rider to pull over and stop... turn off for 20-30 seconds - restart and everything would be fine again! Spoke to mechanic that serviced it for previous owner = they were unable to reproduce issue despite having the bike for a week and doing a couple of hundred K's on her.

Happened once yesterday morning when I started riding the bike home... stopped - turned off for 20-30 seconds - restart and everything was fine again! - at least for the next 680km...

Rode it around town today to pick up a few things... problem recurred... bike actually died.

So, got it home and removed carbs... having read how tough it actually ended up fairly easy (with the aid of a demo bar :-P applied gently). As they separated from the back it became obvious what the issue was with the rear right cylinder - the carb boot/insulator was cracked.

Carbs now back on... thanks for the board and ratchet tie down tip to ease it in! Started up fine once I got the fuel flowing, BUT...

Should it sound this clattery?

Cam lobes are gone .......

Hmmm... had head covers off to check valve clearances... they were pretty good... and cam didn't look worn...

Shoulda taken some pics so those with way more experience than me could advise - may do when weather improves.

Would riding in this state wreck it?... really need to get it to my brothers and a garage I can dismantle it in.

• Member Contributer

Ours sounds similar. I just wrote it off as being an older and very mechanical engine. It's part of the old girls charm.

Archived