A Few Questions, Shock Replacement (Budget) And Map

I had (unfortunately had to sell) a 97 vfr last year and now have my 92. I forgot I replaced the stock shock on my 97 with a penske (being the dummy I am, I didn't swap them out before selling the bike) and just found it (the stock shock) the other day. I know with preload etc it's likely to be a better stock shock for my 92, IF it will fit (bike had a measly 20k on it). And there is my question, will a stock shock from a 4th gen fit the third gen?

Also, the 92 I have is black with the stock silver and 'purple' striping stickers. I have another 90 that is red with white wheels (for sale cheap if you know of anyone, lol). IYO, would the black look better with the white rims, or leave her with the stock silver rims? The stock silver rims are a bit chewed up thanks to the PO. I'm trying like crazy to maintain a budget on this thing and it would run me another $50 to have the tires swapped, not to mention the PITA chore of taking the rims/tires in...they both have lh exhausts and no center stands...(I know, damn the bad luck!)

Third and probably least important; where on the forum/www does one get a map of the US denoting where you have ridden at/to? I can't find one or am looking in the wrong places. Just something I'd like to have in my signature. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Though I can't speak for whether or not the stock shock from the 4th gen will fit the 3rd gen, my guess would be that it is not a straight swap. One of the members here Jamie Daugherty, makes shock upgrades for any and all years of VFR's and I installed one of his CBR929 upgrades on my 5th gen VIffer and it made a world of difference. You might want to check out his site and shoot him an email, as I am sure he would be able to answer the question as to compatibility, and he may have a few options for you to stay within your budget.

As for the wheels, and this is just personal opinion, I like the silver wheels. If for any other reason the silver matches with the frame and a lot of other silver accents on the bike where the the white might clash. I do like the look of white wheels don't get me wrong, but in an effort to help save you money, why swap the wheels if you don't have to in the first place.

On the last question, uhhhhhh, well, can't help there, SORRY.

All the best and don't forget to keep her shiny side up. Forgot to add the link. OOPS

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/

^^thanks for the link. I have checked Jaimie out. Truthfully, every time I make a change to the suspension on a vfr, I regret it. I put the penske on my 4th genner, and wasn't too comfy with it...resprung the front, and wasn't happy there either, but that was probably because the spring rate was too much for my weight.

^^thanks for the link. I have checked Jaimie out. Truthfully, every time I make a change to the suspension on a vfr, I regret it. I put the penske on my 4th genner, and wasn't too comfy with it...resprung the front, and wasn't happy there either, but that was probably because the spring rate was too much for my weight.

If you replace a shock or springs and expect to bolt it on and magically have it make your life better that is your problem.

We do suspension classes at the track day I work at and we can take someones bike that was running great, dial "out" all the suspension settings and send them out on the track. The bike that worked so well, now rides terrible. We pull them back in and dial "in" all the suspension, send them out and it still rides terrible. Once they know what the extreeme settings in each direction for the suspension feel like we start to "dial in" the settings to make the bike ride as it should.

No doubt, if the spring rates were wrong there was an issue but you can adjust for some of that. Suspension is a lot of science, trial and error.

Archived