02 Vtec Oem Luggage Rack/carrier Fitting Problems.

tigger390

Hi everyone, first post on here as just bought my 02 VTEC. The problem I have is the previous owner had the OEM rack and top box, but when he fitted it it has pressed down so far on the rear panel that on both sides it has cracked the top face of the indicator lens. The question I have, is there supposed to be a spacer between the rack and rear subframe, or is it designed to sit on top of the side carriers?

Thanks

Nigel.

• Member Contributer

The mounting kit includes separate spacers depending on whether you only use the top box frame or also include the side case frames as well. Previous owner is, as we say in theYukkay, a knob head.

Thanks for the welcome! Thanks Kanadian Ken, I realise that. I have only the top box carrier, not the pannier carrier. Eggs on Legs, I agree about the previous owner, I have a new light on the way. Do you have a picture or dimensions of the spacers you use if not using the side box frames? Or Can I buy them separately?

Thanks

Cheers mate. I suspect they are about 15-16mm as that is a size of spacer someone else has quoted as being in the kit but they didnt say thats what they were for, Also if you put in the grab rail spacers, the rack sits too high. A quick calculation brings you back to about 15 mm, so I am going to turn up some 15mm spacers today.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea :beer:

A picture would help but I'd hazard a guess and say use some longer bolts and use a stack of stainless o-rings to create the clearance you like.

I turned up some spacers that are 20mm outside dia and 15mm high with a clearance hole for the 8mm bolt and it does float quite nicely above the tail unit. If you look normally it looks like a perfect fit, but if you look underneath and lift the rubber, it is barely touching the paintwork. To top it off I have ordered some 40 and 45mm long bolts, whichever fits best, to replace the standard 35 so there will be more bolt gripping in the thread in the subframe. Am well pleased with the result.

Thanks for all the tips.

Archived