Pair Valve Block Off Plates.

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to pass this along to anyone else looking for PAIR valve block off plates. Mike from Kyle Racing was kind enough to put together a kit for us (VFR 1200) owners. And all I can say is thanks to him for all his help. A real class act, and a great product.

http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/product.sc?productId=740&categoryId=-1

• Member Contributer

I picked up my plates from powderkeg racing. These plates are heavy duty, almost 5/16 thick. They are plain aluminum however, he does not anodize to keep cost down. The cbr plate fits the front valve cover perfect. The rc51 plate fits but Honda changed the shape just a little since the rc51 was in production and the long radius corner on one side has been made to match the other side with a sharp corner. I am mailing my back pair covers to him Monday and he is going to change his cad drawing so the plate will fit our valve covers perfect. Then he will throw together a kit for us 7th Gen owners that fit correctly. Price will be unbeatable. Nothing fancy, no engraving or anodizing, just a heavy duty set of plates at an excellent price.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Quick update guys the two rear plates dont fit. Theres a small gap. Im going to contact Kyle racing and let them know. The same problem that Hunntinggunns had. I'll let Mike know.

20130921_130448.jpg

• Member Contributer

Quick update guys the two rear plates dont fit. Theres a small gap. Im going to contact Kyle racing and let them know. The same problem that Hunntinggunns had. I'll let Mike know.

Posted Image

No matter where you buy the rc51 plates from they are going to fit the same way. They will seal, the corner is just cut a little too shallow. Justin from powderkeg racing is going to change his design a little to make them fit perfectly for us. Should take about a month to be ready to sell on their site. He has a run of Yamaha plates to do first.

• Member Contributer

20130921_130448.jpg

No matter where you buy the rc51 plates from they are going to fit the same way. They will seal, the corner is just cut a little too shallow. Justin from powderkeg racing is going to change his design a little to make them fit perfectly for us. Should take about a month to be ready to sell on their site. He has a run of Yamaha plates to do first.

Please let us know when they are ready.

• Member Contributer

Update, just found out from Mike at Kyle Racing. That the plates are shaped different at both ends are are meant to go on in only one direction and I was putting them on incorrectly... So give them a try guy's and make sure you have them on correctly or they will leak :491: Yeah I'm a dumbass.... But at least I found out the right way.... :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Update, just found out from Mike at Kyle Racing. That the plates are shaped different at both ends are are meant to go on in only one direction and I was putting them on incorrectly... So give them a try guy's and make sure you have them on correctly or they will leak :491:  Yeah I'm a dumbass.... But at least I found out the right way.... :unsure:

They will seal but they are still a slightly different shape than what is needed. Honda made a slight change in the shape of the valve cover from the rc51. Mine are fine until Justin fabs up the new shape then I will swap them out for the correct ones.

Does anybody know if there is a way to temporary disable the Pair system? I would like to have the bike's Power Commander map tuned and by disabling pair it would make sure that I get the correct O2 readings when measured from the end of the exhaust.

• Member Contributer

Does anybody know if there is a way to temporary disable the Pair system? I would like to have the bike's Power Commander map tuned and by disabling pair it would make sure that I get the correct O2 readings when measured from the end of the exhaust.

You can plug the 2 hoses going from the valve to the pair plates for a temporary bypass. Some people have even done that for a permanent solution. Just find something that will block off the hoses internally when you take them off the pair valve, insert the plugs, and stick the hoses back on.

• Member Contributer

Justin from powder keg called me last night. He has my factory pair plates in his hand. He said no problem, a few key strokes on the cnc program and we are good to go. He said he will price the entire kit, 3 plates and a rubber plug, for right at 30 dollars. He said he should be ready for orders in a month as he has a huge run of Yamaha plates he is getting ready to start on. Sounds like a good price and finally a full kit that fits the big 12 like it should.

• Member Contributer

Good to hear, I sent back my plates to Kyle racing with a template but it doesn't sound like they are going to make them anytime soon. So I just got some rubber caps from my local autoparts store and capped them off for now. It worked fine! May not even get plates now.

Does anybody know if there is a way to temporary disable the Pair system? I would like to have the bike's Power Commander map tuned and by disabling pair it would make sure that I get the correct O2 readings when measured from the end of the exhaust.

You can plug the 2 hoses going from the valve to the pair plates for a temporary bypass. Some people have even done that for a permanent solution. Just find something that will block off the hoses internally when you take them off the pair valve, insert the plugs, and stick the hoses back on.

I have seen people use a marble/ball bearing for a temp/permanent fix if you don't want to go to all the trouble of removing all the stock components. I stripped mine completly using TPO Parts block off plates.

Here are some others as well. http://www.aaperf.com/block-offs.html

• Member Contributer

I have seen people use a marble/ball bearing for a temp/permanent fix if you don't want to go to all the trouble of removing all the stock components. I stripped mine completly using TPO Parts block off plates.

Here are some others as well. http://www.aaperf.com/block-offs.html

Those plates won't work on the VFR 1200, Only one plate will work on the front bank, the rear has two plates that are very close to the RC 51 plates but are not the same and will leak at one corner. I tested this and it did have an exhaust leak!

• Member Contributer

I don't think that anyone has a set yet. I just removed the hoses and put some automotive plugs on the caps and plugged the airbox, seems to work great for now. Only cost me $8.00

• Member Contributer

"Kyleusa" said their their plates or not recommended for VFR1200. Can anybody say who could supply the best set?

Justin at powder keg racing is working the correct plates up for us. Shouldn't be too long.

• Member Contributer

I sent a template to Kyle Racing when I returned my plates but not sure if he's going to CNC some up. Mike said he would let me know if and when he does.

Will keep you all posted.

• Member Contributer

You can put a marble in the hose to block it. People have done this for years. Some of us prefer to go all stop with the plates as the marble is a questionable concrete solution if that makes sense.

• Member Contributer

That makes sense. But would you get the same effect if you just cap off the hole in the air box?

Yes, same effect. Block the hose any way you like and no air can flow.

Archived