About Cam Chain Tensioners

bozkan

hello, i have a 2010 vfr1200f, at 24K

there was a post with the video about a ticking noise heard best when the engine is cold, the sound comes from my bike looks like that sound on the video of that post

from the right side when the engine is cold (sometimes after a long ride too) a ticking sound comes, the dealer told me that is not important, it can be cam chain tensioner sound, but it seems to me that sound gets louder by time,

i use motul 300v 10-40w oil,

if it is really a cam chain tensioner problem is it okay to ride with that like the dealer says? or should it be replaced instantly?

From what I heard, you can ride with noisy CCT's for quite a long time before it really becomes a mechanical problem that would affect the engine's performance.

Why one of the biggest motorcycle companies in the world cannot solve CCT problems that's been plaguing their bikes since the 70's (Most of my Dad's Hondas in the 70's and 80's developed noisy cam chain symptoms early in their life...) is really puzzling.... :huh:

Why not maybe a hydraulic type CCT Honda?.....or just bring back gear driven cams.... :rolleyes:

thanks for your comment

have another question

loose cam chains effect the valve clearences or proper work? will i benefit changing engine oil? (i use motul 300v 10-40 , for example change to 10-50w or 10-30w, in here temp goes around 25celcius)

I've heard that with the 6th gen, some had been successful quelling the CCT noise by changing over to IIRC, non-synthetic(?) 10W 40 oil, but for some the oil remedy did not work and they were forced to change out the tensioner. Try a different non-synthetic oil of the same grade first, if that does not work there's a way to add in more tension to the spring ( you can wind in more tensioner preload on the spring) in the noisy tensioner that's described in older posts. If that does still not work, then a new tensioner might be needed to get rid of the noise.

• Member Contributer

I replaced both front and back tensioners with aftermarket ones. It was the noise that drove me nuts - now I'm not nuts anymore.

APE for the 6th Gen, not sure if they have 7th Gen but can't hurt to inquire.

http://cbrzone.com/tensioners.html

Cam chain tensioners have been an issue with Hondas for a while - most noticeably on the early Hurricane 1000 and CBR1000F.....but all the way into the Blackbird years.

My '99 PGM-FI Blackbird started making CCT noise at 16,000 miles - I had it replaced because the bike was under warranty, but the tech (good one) assured me it would cause no harm.

Archived