85 Vf500F

Guest 90guy

Hey guys, new hear. Lots of good info!! I was just wondering what would I be getting into if I would pick up an 85 vf500f? The guy wants 1200. The bike has 20,000 miles. But the bike does clean. What would I be looking for when I go look at it?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Well, for one, you will be getting what I think was a great little engine. I would definitely keep an eye on the valves and camshafts though, after looking at my two VF500 engines. So regular valve checks (they are easy to check and easy to adjust), keep it oiled, and keep it on two wheels.

What to look for when you pick it up? Hmmm. A compression check is a decent indicator of the state of the engine. Not sure if the guy will let you do that. Not exactly an everyday thing to have a buyer do. Other than the normal stuff (straight forks, no oil leaks, no leaking fork seals, no warped brakes, no dings in the wheels, tire condition, does it run, title), not sure what else to really look at.

Ok, I know he said it runs great, has a title, said its in very nice shape. But he did say it had a fork seal leaking on it. I asked if he knew anything about it. And he said he didn't because he has only owned it for a year. Makes me start to wonder.

• Member Contributer

Ok, I know he said it runs great, has a title, said its in very nice shape. But he did say it had a fork seal leaking on it. I asked if he knew anything about it. And he said he didn't because he has only owned it for a year. Makes me start to wonder.

Sound like you haven't seen any pictures of the bike. Can he send you a few before you take the time to go look at it? If the bodywork is all there and in nice, original condition, that's a big plus. Fork seals are common and not very difficult to replace. If one if leaking, replace them both and consider replacing the bushes as well. The dust seals should definitely be replaced during the job.

Keep us posted and put some pics up if you get any.

Owning a 28 year old bike gets a ride for cheap but one needs to be able to do a bit more wrenching then needed on a younger machine. This can work well for you if you are able to and enjoy working on it yourself. Taking it to a mechanic for needed work would negate the cheap price very quickly. 20k miles is low which means wear is quite low but age related deterioration could be higher. Rubber parts and seals are vulnerable. Also check for rust in side the fuel tank and gummed up carburetors do not run well. These can be fixed but will take some work to do so. If the bike looks weathered of corroded I would pass it by. If it looks well preserved and you are good at fixing and maintaining things an older bike could be a good choice. If you are maintaining a '73 Yamaha 100 enduro you can do this.

• Member Contributer

Owning a 28 year old bike gets a ride for cheap but one needs to be able to do a bit more wrenching then needed on a younger machine. This can work well for you if you are able to and enjoy working on it yourself. Taking it to a mechanic for needed work would negate the cheap price very quickly.

Bad Boy is absolutely right. Anyone buying a 25+ year old bike needs to understand that they either have to be handy and capable of doing their own repairs or have VERY deep pockets to pay someone to work on it. The problem with that is that there are fewer and fewer shops willing to even look at these old bikes. Some of the specialty or vintage shops can, but even then you have to be careful because not all of them are familiar with all of the older bikes. Dealers generally turn away these old machines too. That being said, this is why these great forums exist, so that you can ask your comrades for help and advice when you get stuck.

Let us know how it goes and hopefully you end up with a nice bike that doesn't need a ton of work. We're here to help.

The wrenching dosent bother me one bit. Into the Atc three wheeler scene. I have seen one pic. Nodak sent me a pm saying he checked it out and it needs atleast a clutch to be in a good rideable shape.

All good advice so far. I would want to put an apprising eyeball on the bike and hear it run before plunking down the cash. You can be pretty sure that the carbs will need to come off for a good cleaning, the valves will most likely need adjustment. Post some pics if you can get some.

Archived