Splitting The Crankcase 5 Gen

yycviffer

• Member Contributer

Has anyone every split the engine of a 5gen? The FSM says the cylinder heads have to be removed prior to splitting the case. I was wondering if a guy wanted to look at the transmission he could just pull the bottom off and leave the heads alone. Is it a case of the valve drive train loading the crank once the case is split and possibly not getting everything seated and torqued back up correctly when reassembling?

• Member Contributer

Not that I know of. Are you trying to do some serious transmission work? If you're splitting the case you must be doing something major on an engine that most people never have to do a valve check on.

• Member Contributer

All right then. You two being long time VFRD guys probably would have heard of someone doing it. (I'm surprised BR hasn't chimed in. He seems to do just about anything.) I am tossing the idea around changing out the gears for 3-6 with the gears out of a 6 gen. Why the h*&l would I want to do that you ask? Well 1 and 2 are the same ratio in both both bikes. 3-6 are all a little taller in the 6 gen. 6 gen final drive is 16/43. The useless point to it all is that I could go 16/43 final drive for more bottom end AND keep a lower highway RPM. Best of both worlds. Rationalising it out, I could probably get away with just pulling the cams and cam drive out and leave all the rest of the top end attached. There should be nothing loading the crank up then and I dont have to buy new head gaskets and all the associated hardware and nick nacks to go with the job. I have looked at the specs for the gears and stack up per the 6 gen service manual and all the numbers and tolerances are exactly the same as 5 gen, so I see no real reason why it shouldn't work. I have a couple of different projects on the go for this winter so the soonest I could tackle it would be winter 2014, but like all great battles, victory comes after much planning.

• Member Contributer

I sort of get that, as I did that in my car, and it did make enough of a difference that I don't feel like an idiot for doing it. On a bike I'm not so sure. You would have to be positive that the gears swap over.

You could gear down on the sprockets. It won't do the same thing, but if you were going for distance, it is the easy option.

Archived