Backfires. Should I Be Worried?

Hi all, a few question about my third gen. I am suddenly getting a very consistent backfire at almost precisely 4K RPM when I let off the throttle. This is accompanied by a small burst of flame. I have a number of theories and want to know what you guys think is the most likely. The valves need adjusting but I have known this for a little while longer than the backfires have been occurring so I don't know if this is related. I also wonder if some of the baffle may have broken off since the exhaust note seems a touch punchier, could be my imagination though. Should I be worried since it's so consistent? Thanks. rJqQvca.jpg

Backfiring is caused by unburned fuel entering the exhaust pipe & igniting from the heat. Does this happen only when you chop the throttle suddenly, or even if you back off gently? How long has it been since your carbs were cleaned/synced?

Backfiring is caused by unburned fuel entire the exhaust pipe & igniting from the heat. Does this happen only when you chop the throttle suddenly, or even if you back off gently? How long has it been since your carbs were cleaned/synced?

Bike is new to me. I'll check when I'm out next if it happens if I back off gently but I'm inclined to say yes. This is new though. I have put about 3000km on it in the past few weeks and it's only been the last 150 or so that this has been happening. Aside from that it seems to be running great. Almost better than usual

• Member Contributer

the backing and popping is from the pair system.. i sent you a post on how to get rid of that :beer:

if its a NEW problem.. then the exhaust may be a little loose some place.

since you have to check.. take the pair set up off while you check.

Archived