What Kind Of Mpg Do You Get?

TNRabbit

• Member Contributer

I believe manufacturers target a speedo accuracy that is on average a little optimistic (reads higher than the true vehicle speed) so that the rider has no defence against speeding offences, and that within normal manufacturing variance no speedo under-reads. I would expect the odo to be more accurate as it is a digital counter, vs the speedo which is converting the pulses/second into an analog output. Even the odo will have variance due to differences in wheel circumference for different tyre profiles and wear. As the true circumference decreases the odo and speedo become more optimistic. The ratio between revs and indicated speed is always unchanged, even with a gearing change.

My 5th gen with 79000 km gets 14km/L or 33 miles/USgal which I don't think is reasonable for the riding I do. The tailpipe is a bit sooty so I'm pretty sure it's running rich, and I'll be ordering a new fuel pressure regulator shortly. Or maybe de-PAIRing is causing the exhaust to contain more unburnt hydrocarbons?

YMMV indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5500rpms @ 70-75. Seems on par with my friends 00.

I'll check it out this weekend if I remember. Thanks

You have to measure the odo reading over a tank or 100 miles or so against the GPS to get the correction, if any. I'd estimate your odo is about 10% off, if my math is right?
Ran the gps for two days. 153 on the gps and 135 on the trip odo

• 2 months later...

Well I think it's all fixed! :goofy:

When I bought the bike Oct 2013 the owner gave me a slew of take off parts and one being a front sprocket that was 1 tooth smaller than stock installed by the previous owner to him. He said he didn't like it and went back to stock which is how I purchased it. Rode it home from DC to Iowa without much care for the lower mileage since I was on it pretty hard to get home in a 36 hour window. Marc the PO messaged me over the weekend and stated he thought the PO told him he installed a speedohealer when he changed gearing. Marc never messed with it as he didn't own it very long before I bought it.

So I go out last night and low and behold I find a speedohealer V4 tucked under the grab handle mounting area. I get online and find out how to set/reset it. I find out it's set to -12.5% which would make perfect sense. I reset it to 0 and on my ride in today the trip odo read 11.5 and my GPS read 11. I am cool with that as my GPS doesn't read total miles traveled to the tenth of a mile.

Archived