What Kind Of Mpg Do You Get?

TNRabbit

• Member Contributer

in English, or rather imperial but US ! 5.5l/100Km is as follows 100Km=62miles so 62/5.5L=11.27mpl (Miles per Litre), so US gallon = approx 3.7L or 42mpg & Imperial Gallon = 4.546L or 52mpg. Which is pretty good, when I only get 36mpg at the mo, but it is running very rich since I took the O2 sensors out !

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I generally get around 45 mpg. Can stretch to 50 mpg if riding state routes and keeping speeds down while still in top gear. I run an 18/43 sprocket set, so a little on the tall side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I was getting 45 to 48 mpg until I got a speedo healer...now 40 to 42...

Lately it has been 39 to 40 with my 250lb lardbut and two full Give side bags.

• Member Contributer

Just finished a 1200 mile trip to Colorado, any where from 80+ to ? in the twisties, kept a close tally and it average 56mpg, my buddy on an 99 Canadian model was no where near this mileage. WHY I don't know, and my fellow rider can't figure it out, same speeds and fill ups!

• Member Contributer

I know about the speedo error, but the odometer is supposed to be much more accurate. I believe I read that on a much earlier (years ago) thread. Something about legalese for resale purposes. You can check it by watching your odo over the measured mile highway/interstate roadside markers. (Check it over, say, five mi for less error.) There are different sensors for each. So I'd expect your un-adjusted mpg is accurate to the degree the odo is accurate.

That's good news, right?!

On the 900+ mile trip home from Hog Tie my mpg was just over 50.0 mpg. I'm 145 and have huge Givi 41L bags. They were about 40 lb each. It gets better when they stay home. As much as 10%.

• Member Contributer

I've been wondering about this... since I installed the 12 o'clock labs speedo corrector (great unit, easy to install and not too expensive) and adjusted for dead on correct speed it appears my mileage has decreased. I am running -1 on the front (16/43). It seems my mileage dropped by about the same amount as the % adjustment I made on the unit (~14%).

So, my question is... does changing the signal to the speedometer alter the odometer? Is it by the same amount?

Sorry... :offtopic:

Was getting ~44 mpg with as high as 54 milking it on a long ride... now 38 mpg

...PC2 w/ lots of exhaust, intake, and ignition mods

I know about the speedo error, but the odometer is supposed to be much more accurate. I believe I read that on a much earlier (years ago) thread. Something about legalese for resale purposes. You can check it by watching your odo over the measured mile highway/interstate roadside markers. (Check it over, say, five mi for less error.) There are different sensors for each. So I'd expect your un-adjusted mpg is accurate to the degree the odo is accurate.

That's good news, right?!

On the 900+ mile trip home from Hog Tie my mpg was just over 50.0 mpg. I'm 145 and have huge Givi 41L bags. They were about 40 lb each. It gets better when they stay home. As much as 10%.

I've been wondering about this... since I installed the 12 o'clock labs speedo corrector (great unit, easy to install and not too expensive) and adjusted for dead on correct speed it appears my mileage has decreased. I am running -1 on the front (16/43). It seems my mileage dropped by about the same amount as the % adjustment I made on the unit (~14%).

So, my question is... does changing the signal to the speedometer alter the odometer? Is it by the same amount?

Sorry... :offtopic:

Was getting ~44 mpg with as high as 54 milking it on a long ride... now 38 mpg

...PC2 w/ lots of exhaust, intake, and ignition mods

The speed and odometer are both measured off the one input: the socket on the countershaft sprocket nut.

1999 model year

900 miles in 18 hours and I averaged 37mpg. Right at 140 miles the gauge would be at 2 bars and flashing by 160. I was somewhat disappointed, but I had large GIVI side panniers and trunk and they were loaded pretty heavily and I was blasting 75-80 all day long.

Hoping my 35 mile commute at 60-65mph sans luggage will greatly improve those numbers. I have never seen mid 40's out of any sport touring bike I have owned.

• 9 months later...

1999 model year

900 miles in 18 hours and I averaged 37mpg. Right at 140 miles the gauge would be at 2 bars and flashing by 160. I was somewhat disappointed, but I had large GIVI side panniers and trunk and they were loaded pretty heavily and I was blasting 75-80 all day long.

Hoping my 35 mile commute at 60-65mph sans luggage will greatly improve those numbers. I have never seen mid 40's out of any sport touring bike I have owned.

Still tracking my miles using Fuelly. 2700 miles tracked so far, commuting and rides with my wife and broke 40 (40.1) today for the firs time. Still averaging 37.1 is all and I couldn't hit 200 miles on a tank if I had to.

Recently replaced the plugs with the same NGK's that were in it, stator rewound, rectifier replaced. Bike runs Mobil 1 4T oil, has a K&N and a Delkavic pipe.

Aside from throttle a body sync and I am at a loss for how you folks are getting 45-50 with ease no matter what. That mpg would make a huge difference in weekly refueling on my commute not to mention the savings in my wallet. I am really wanting to install an Audivox cruise control. I had one on my 02 VFR and while I didn't like that bike I loved the CC.

Must be my riding style, I don't think I ride hard or get on it all the time???? I have owned a 94, 02 and now 99 VFR as well as an 06 1050 Sprint and anything over 40mpg a happy dance was in order :)

I was hitting 50 with EASE last year but this year 45 has been my absolute best. I've tried everything to no avail.

1999 model year

Still tracking my miles using Fuelly. 2700 miles tracked so far, commuting and rides with my wife and broke 40 (40.1) today for the firs time. Still averaging 37.1 is all and I couldn't hit 200 miles on a tank if I had to.

Recently replaced the plugs with the same NGK's that were in it, stator rewound, rectifier replaced. Bike runs Mobil 1 4T oil, has a K&N and a Delkavic pipe.

Aside from throttle a body sync and I am at a loss for how you folks are getting 45-50 with ease no matter what. That mpg would make a huge difference in weekly refueling on my commute not to mention the savings in my wallet. I am really wanting to install an Audivox cruise control. I had one on my 02 VFR and while I didn't like that bike I loved the CC.

Must be my riding style, I don't think I ride hard or get on it all the time???? I have owned a 94, 02 and now 99 VFR as well as an 06 1050 Sprint and anything over 40mpg a happy dance was in order :)

A check of my records for the past two years shows my '98 delivered tank averages ranging from a low of 45 mpg (during Tmac 2012) up to just under 58, with most tanks falling in the 51-53 mpg range. These results were calculated based on (as far as I know) stock gearing and uncorrected odometer readings. Also, I'm fairly sure my 5th-gen is stock except for a K&N air filter and TBR high-mount.

Of course how much or how little the right wrist is exercised along with average highway cruising (and passing) speeds can make a significant difference as can low tire pressures and unnecessarily tight drive chains .

Based on what other owners have posted I'm also of the opinion that pre-catalyst equipped 5th-gens ('98-'99) may be a bit more fuel-efficient on average in comparison to 5th & 6th gen models produced featuring catalytic converters.

Judging from our recent ride together, I believe TNRabbit may have a tendency to exercise his right wrist a bit more enthusiastically than I. :pinocchio:

In any case it was my pleasure to introduce him to some of VA highways 151, 56, 39 and 60 in and around the Blue Ridge last Saturday. :beer:

smoothsailin, what mpg did you get on Satuday? I got 45.4 on the 1st tank & 43.7 on the second....

A check of my records for the past two years shows my '98 delivered tank averages ranging from a low of 45 mpg (during Tmac 2012) up to just under 58, with most tanks falling in the 51-53 mpg range. These results were calculated based on (as far as I know) stock gearing and uncorrected odometer readings. Also, I'm fairly sure my 5th-gen is in stock except for the addition of a K&N air filter and TBR high-mount.

Of course how much or how little the right wrist is exercised along with average highway cruising (and passing) speeds can make a significant difference as can low tire pressures and unnecessarily tight drive chains .

Based on what other owners have posted I'm also of the opinion that pre-catalyst equipped 5th-gens ('98-'99) may be a bit more fuel-efficient on average in comparison to models produced later.

Judging from our recent ride together, I believe TNRabbit may have a tendency to exercise his right wrist a bit more enthusiastically than I. :pinocchio:

In any case it was my pleasure to introduce him to some of VA highways 151, 56, 39 and 60 in and around the Blue Ridge last Saturday. :beer:

Gary,

Unfortunately, I was unable to calculate my mpg when we stopped for gas Saturday because my vfr's trip odometers & clock had been accidentally reset to zero sometime after I left home earlier that day. Note: I now believe the clock and trip odometers may have lost power & memory because (as we later discovered) my motorcycle's battery was failing.

For the rest of the afternoon I ended up riding non-stop for home (127 miles) after you helped me bump-start the engine and as a result I have not filled up since we stopped for gas in Buena Vista. So I'll let you know the results when I fill up again.

Since I generally maintained conservative speeds (~ 60 mph) during the trip home, based on prior experience I'm guessing the calculated average mpg for that stretch may fall in the low-to-mid-50's.

• Member Contributer

Are any of these reported mpg amounts calculated with a speedo-healer installed?

Does the stock odometer read as optimistic as the speedometer?

Archived