What Bulbs For Gauge Lights And License Plate Light On 5Th Gen?

80sDweeb

My '98 has become a very dark an uninformative place on night rides. What lamps will I need to replace the instrument panel bulbs? Also, what bulb does the factory license plate illuminator need? And if I remove that light entirely, won't the taillight work to do the same thing?

Thanks! I tried searching, but I'm on my phone and search is a challenge on the itty-bitty screen.

Scott in Penfield NY

Replace the dash lights with LED's, colour is your call.

You want LED replacements for a #194 wedge base bulb.

I used the inverted cone tip which prevents "spotlighting" of the gauge face.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-led-bulb-1-led-wedge-base/197/

The 120 degree ones would be best I think. Don't change the FI warning lamp, as it will always glow faintly when replaced with an LED, but work properly with the stock incandescent. I have no idea why, but it does. You can swap the rest including the turn, hibeam and neutral lights.

For the taillights, they are a #7443. They commonly burn out if they are the automotive style without the center filament support. Make sure they are the heavy duty variety with the extra filament support in the middle, or change to LED's as well. I do not know what type of LED's would be best, as I've never swapped the stock bulbs for LED's in the taillight.

Same goes for the license plate light, but I don't know what the stock bulb # is, you'll have to pull yours and see.

Superbright has a 45-LED bulb that would be awesome for turn signals & brake lights, but they are $25 each~

FYI- check my recent thread for details about changing out the dash bulbs....I'm on the phone or I'd provide you a link...

• Member Contributer

you will need these

Instrument Lights - T10/T8 LED 194 WHITE (T10 8-SMD LED Wedge White)
Oil/Neutral - T5 / 3774

I had put blue but moved to White ...

Dashboard

Archived