New Sprockets And Chain But Now Clutch Wont Disengage.

choosedeth

Hey everyone, new forum member here with a quick question. Purchased a 98 VFR last week, decided to do a new chain and sprockets. Chain and sprockets swap went off without a hitch, put everything back together and now the clutch wont disengage? When I did the front sprocket I pulled 4 bolts (2 on the slave cylinder and the one above the speed sensor and the one below), took the sprocket cover off, changed the drive sprocket and replaced the cover. Not sure what happened but I'm thinking something to do with the slave cyl.? Any Idea's on what happened or how to fix? I did pull the slave cylinder out and the piston moved when I pulled the clutch lever but not much.

• Member Contributer

I'd suggest bleeding the system. Did you by chance allow the piston to fall out of the slave cylinder? Also verify that the rod the the slave cylinder pushes on is sit in the block properly.

Thanks hondalover for the reply. I didn't let the piston come out of the slave cyl. Does the rod that goes into the block have a specific orientation? I pushed on it and turned it a couple times in the hole but it didn't feel like it needed to "seat" into anything on the clutch side. Does it? When I had the slave cyl. out the piston didnt seem to move on the first couple pumps of the clutch lever, then it would only move a little bit each time I squeezed the lever after that. My plan is to bleed the system tonight and reexamine the slave cyl piston and its surroundings. Any other advice or ideas? I'm pretty frustrated as the clutch worked fine before the sprocket/chain swap.

• Member Contributer

The clutch rod is the same on both ends and it doesn't seat into anything. So it sounds like the issue is in the slave cylinder. It's not a bad habit to get into the bleed the clutch fluid occasionally anyway. The piston doesn't have to travel very far to disengage the clutch, but no movement on the first pull and then more movement on subsequent pulls makes me think you've got some air in there.

Bled the system per the manual and it works fine now. Not sure what happened but the reservoir was a bit low on fluid. Thanks again for the help!

That happens when everything does not go back in square. Take the slave off and push the piston back in with your fingers (it is prolly ever so slightly cock-eyed) . When you put it back on, do it gradually and not one bolt at a time. a coupla turns on each bolt in sequence until it bottoms. Sometimes it takes a try or two, but once it is on straight, you will instantly feel your clutch lever acting as it use to do.

I think you're exactly right timmythecop, because I didn't see alot of bubbles when I bled the system. I did pull the slave cyl. assembly, push the piston all the way back and cleaned the whole assembly. Thanks for the replies and advice. Good people on here, hopefully someday I'll be able to pay it forward and help someone else. Now I have to go (lovingly)ride the shit out of this VFR.

Archived