02 Vfr800, Interested In Rear Spring Options For Touring

Guest rocketpig

Guest rocketpig

Hey all, I just snatched an 02 VFR800 with only 9,200 (!) miles on it. 'm planning a trip through eastern Canada next summer (~3000 miles total) and wanted to find a bike, ride it, and then gauge what needed to be done before next year's trip (plus, I wanted to keep my skills fresh for a ride I'm planning through Scotland in September).

I found a hell of a deal on a super-clean VFR with slip-on pipes and a Power Commander. It has a Givi top box, which will be complemented with Givi side bags next spring.

So, I've put a few miles on the bike two-up (I'm not a small dude... 225 lbs. and the fiancee is pretty big as well, around ~400 lbs combined) and the rear spring is a sad panda when things get frisky. I can only imagine what it will be like with side bags and loaded with two weeks' worth of crap in addition to the two of us.

So I figured the most economical thing to do is find a stiffer VFR rear spring that will better support two-up touring needs. I've been around motorcycles my entire life but as a long-time Ducati rider, I have to admit that I've never had to mess with suspension. I mean, why touch Ducati suspension? biggrin.gif

Any suggestions on spring rates, or anything else related to such a task? I'm in no hurry to do this, as it will probably be a late fall or early spring project.

Thanks in advance.

Hello welcome and congrats.!

Stock spring rate is a slight 15.3kg . Your weight alone should be seeing a 21-23 kg spring.

I would suggest you buy a CBR F4i shock a get a 23kg spring from Sonic Spring and grab a set of 1.0 fork spring s while your at it as a minimum.

Br

Guest rocketpig

Hello welcome and congrats.!

Stock spring rate is a slight 15.3kg . Your weight alone should be seeing a 21-23 kg spring.

I would suggest you buy a CBR F4i shock a get a 23kg spring from Sonic Spring and grab a set of 1.0 fork spring s while your at it as a minimum.

Br

Thanks. That's exactly what I was wondering... If there was another shock that I should be investigating to replace the VFR unit entirely. So the F4i shock fits, eh? I'll have to scour eBay and see if I can find one... Any restrictions on years or just any ol' F4i shock?

I haven't put enough miles on the bike yet to know for sure (my intent is to find that kind of info by riding it this summer) but the front forks aren't that bad with the preload cranked up. I'm not ruling out new springs but like I said, gonna definitely need more miles on the bike to know for sure.

EDIT: Holy balls. Are you f***ing kidding me? I can find F4i shocks on eBay for less than $50. Sheesh. Here I was, expecting to drop $200+ on a shock... I guess I need to de-program 15 years of Ducati riding and the expense that goes along with it. :D

Do I need the linkage or just the shock itself? I assume the F4i linkage won't work since we're talking about going from a dual swingarm to a single.

Edited by rocketpig

Guest rocketpig

Hmm. Just talked to someone over at Sonic Spring and they said they do not recommend changing the spring on the stock shock nor changing out for another stock shock (such as an F4i unit).

Has anyone done this? How did it affect the shock height and damping?

Considering that I'm in line to buy Givi side bags, a tank bag, possibly a new windscreen, and a new seat, I'm not too keen on the idea of dropping $700 on a fully adjustable shock. In fact, I just won't do it. I don't need all the adjustability in the world, I just need something that will better support two-up riding. This is not a turn-n-burn bike and I don't need it to be... I just need a solid, comfortable highway ride that doesn't buckle at the first sight of a sweeper.

Edited by rocketpig

The f4i shock and springs are your cheapest options. I plan on doing the same thing to mine except I want to get everything revalved for the stiffer springs.

You have to consider what is more important, safe handling or more storage to further weigh down the bike?

Edited by MeyekulBayrd

Guest rocketpig

The f4i shock and springs are your cheapest options. I plan on doing the same thing to mine except I want to get everything revalved for the stiffer springs. You have to consider what is more important, safe handling or more storage to further weigh down the bike?

Safety is why I'm bringing this up in the first place but there has to be a reasonable option that doesn't involve an $800 Ohlins rear shock. That's all I'm saying. This bike won't be pushed anywhere near its limit while riding, I don't need a fourteen bi-directional adjustable whizbang rear shock for the thing.

So, has anyone actually installed an F4i shock, re-valved or not? I'm not against a re-valving if I can get the shock itself for $50 (which it appears I can).

Edited by rocketpig

• Member Contributer

Shock swaps on the VFR are a common suspension upgrade. CBR929 on the 5th gens and CBRF4i on the 6th gens. BR has plenty of experience with these bikes so I would accept his advice.

Jamie Daugherty (Daugherty Motor Sports) is another member here and provides suspension set-up advice, spring and re-valving work to make the valving work with the new spring rate. I sent him my 929 shock and he set it up perfect for my weight and my style of riding for a lot less than an aftermarket unit. I couldn't have asked for better service, pricing, and assistance... nice guy to boot!

PM Jamie through VFRD or visit:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr800.html

Guest rocketpig

Shock swaps on the VFR are a common suspension upgrade. CBR929 on the 5th gens and CBRF4i on the 6th gens. BR has plenty of experience with these bikes so I would accept his advice.

Jamie Daugherty (Daugherty Motor Sports) is another member here and provides suspension set-up advice, spring and re-valving work to make the valving work with the new spring rate. I sent him my 929 shock and he set it up perfect for my weight and my style of riding for a lot less than an aftermarket unit. I couldn't have asked for better service, pricing, and assistance... nice guy to boot!

Excellent. I'll do a search for his username and hit him up about it.

• Member Contributer

I added a link to his website in my first post for additional info

Guest rocketpig

I added a link to his website in my first post for additional info

Cool, thanks a bunch. I figure he can build/valve a shock and I can get it installed locally (unless I'm feeling chippy and decide to do it myself, which is... unlikely). :D

Obviously a Penske or Ohlins valved for your weight and bike with the proper spring is the best way to go, but there's many options between stock and Ohlins.

Check out:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/19712-vtec-shock-options/

A f4i shock has been used many times on vtec's. Many folks have been, but do Not be talked into a 929 shock on the 6th gen, it's a much better mod for the 5th gen.! you can get the 929 shock in there, but it is NOT ideal for that installation no matter what your told. :unsure:

Also do Not just do one end of the suspension as it will only magnify the short comings of the other end of the bike.

BR

Guest rocketpig

Also do Not just do one end of the suspension as it will only magnify the short comings of the other end of the bike.

That's a fair point. I have a sneaking suspicion that I believe the front is *adequate* right now because the back is so much worse and my attention is focused on that. Fix the rear and I'll probably start grumbling about the front.

• Member Contributer

Here's another +1 for Jamie Daugherty. I had him re-spring and re-valve an ABS model VFR800 shock (it has the remote preload adjuster) and send me new springs, shims and valves for the forks, all for less than $600! (Pricing may vary of course depending on what you have done). I chose the ABS model shock for a few reasons,

1) I knew it would fit no problem.

2) It was very affordable.

3) Since I use my bike for Commuting/Touring/Sport riding, I wanted the ability to change the preload very easily for the different weight levels I would be carrying.

Figured if you planning on doing the touring thing and changing the weight with luggage, passenger, etc., this would be a logical choice as adjusting the preload is simple as turning a knob.

Guest rocketpig

Here's another +1 for Jamie Daugherty. I had him re-spring and re-valve an ABS model VFR800 shock (it has the remote preload adjuster) and send me new springs, shims and valves for the forks, all for less than $600! (Pricing may vary of course depending on what you have done). I chose the ABS model shock for a few reasons,

1) I knew it would fit no problem.

2) It was very affordable.

3) Since I use my bike for Commuting/Touring/Sport riding, I wanted the ability to change the preload very easily for the different weight levels I would be carrying.

Figured if you planning on doing the touring thing and changing the weight with luggage, passenger, etc., this would be a logical choice as adjusting the preload is simple as turning a knob.

Oh man, now you have me thinking again... I had pretty much settled on the F4i shock but I hadn't researched to make sure that the remote reservoir adjustment is for preload (anybody know off-hand?). It never occurred to me to buy an ABS shock to allow for quick adjustment of preload. That's a great idea. I don't care about rebound and damping adjustment so much, just preload. This bike is not going to be breaking any track records.

How is mounting the reservoir? Any aftermarket kits for it or just go the good ol' zip tie route?

Edited by rocketpig

• Member Contributer

As far as I am aware, the F4 does not have a remote preload adjuster, and mounting the preload adjuster for the ABS model just requires tapping the bolt holes on the rear passenger peg mounts and picking up a couple of bolts at Home Depot. As far as the remote reservoir for the F4 shock, you can either zip tie or hose clamp it to the frame. Note that the ABS does have a rebound adjustor on it.

Guest rocketpig

As far as I am aware, the F4 does not have a remote preload adjuster, and mounting the preload adjuster for the ABS model just requires tapping the bolt holes on the rear passenger peg mounts and picking up a couple of bolts at Home Depot. As far as the remote reservoir for the F4 shock, you can either zip tie or hose clamp it to the frame. Note that the ABS does have a rebound adjustor on it.

Well, if the F4i shock reservoir isn't for preload (and given the bike's intended purpose, I'm guessing you're right that it's not), I think I'm leaning toward the rebuild of an ABS unit.

Now I just have to wait for one to pop up on eBay.

Edited by rocketpig