Modern Stick Coils(Coil On Plug) On My R

Kel

• Member Contributer

In my never ending quest to fight modding boredom and to lose my 28 year old stock coils, I decided to try some modern stick coils on the old girl. I haven't seen it done on the 1st gens so I didn't have much to go on. I bought a set from a CBR along with a harness...$40. Wired in series, they ohm out almost exactly as the stockers. A buddy has 10k miles on a set on his Connie with the same ignition system as my R with no issues so I figured WTH.

First I made a custom harness using the CBR connectors.
e9b29e5c-6e60-48fb-b062-207ad53945f1_zps

I needed to seal the coil in the spark plug opening so I grabbed a grommet from the PO...
grommet_zpsb4369bc7.jpg

and trimmed off one of the flanges.
cutgrommet_zps18943087.jpg

Here's how it seals in the hole...nice and tight.
IMG_2862_zpsce466f8e.jpg

On the inlines, the valve cover helps hold the coil in place, but the R's head is dished out around the plug so I needed to steady the coil. I cut some heater hose and made a sleeve to wedge the coil into the head.
Rock solid now.
IMG_2863_zps2e679d20.jpg

Fronts.
You can see another reason why I went with an updated rad fan(works great by the way), stock fans would hit the coils but the slim line one is no problem after a small modification.
IMG_2866_zps2c3b9910.jpg

Rears.
I temporarily tucked everything away for the test run. I'll make a carbon fiber plate where the old coils use to be to tie down the cables/connections.
1f101078-d0f9-4149-ad3e-12638fdc7c04_zps

It starts and runs great, all the way to redline. I've got about 100 miles on it and all seems normal. Some claim better starting, better response, blah blah blah. I really just wanted to lose the old coils, pay less money for an upgrade and just see if I could do it.

Some may ask why, but I feel it's more fun in life asking why not.

I'm with ya, I didn't "need" stick coils on my 5th gen, but it satisfies my inner tinkerer.

Ran great all the way from Colorado to North Carolina and back again. :-)

And as mods go, it was fairly straightforward.

IMG 1755

IMG 1614

IMG 1613

IMG 1612

IMG 1608

• Member Contributer

How much dinero for these babies ?

Cheap, Ebay is rotten with them.

Yep. The same Denso coil is used in a lot of applications. $40 on Ebay for the 4 CBR coils and the small harness that has the connections. Even though the coils may be similar, I just couldn't put in ones that were once in a Busa. Bad Ju Ju.

Super nice work as always Kel. Wish I lived around the block so I could stop by with my 500 for some shop time. You come up with the most interesting mods. Well done!

Thanks bud. Can't you commandeer a helo and stop by for a long weekend with the 500 strapped underneath?

• Member Contributer

Thanks bud. Can't you commandeer a helo and stop by for a long weekend with the 500 strapped underneath?

Definitely!

Actually I'll let the cat out of the bag - the heli is in spirit only...invis cities is more Calvino than Sikorsky ;-)

Archived