Honda Vfr 750 F "86 Not Starting

Guest VFR750F1986

Guest VFR750F1986

Hello! I am new in this forum, hope its right place to ask, please move my question to right place if necessary.

My problem is VFR750F 86", I bought it at spring, and have driven it about 1500km in this summer.

It has been working perfectly, very good engine, it goes easily +190kmh with two persons and full luggage. It started perfectly, no matter if temperature +5 or +25. Good idle, very fast rev.

BUT.

I was going to get my working car (taxi) with my honda, it worked perfectly, as always. I was going about 110kmh, when bike just shut down. It was like the gas goes out.

I had the gas light lit about 50km max, so I tought that it run out of gas. My gf bought some gas from warehouse (a mistake maybe, the gas was old and maybe bad somehow) but it did not help.

I took my another car and filled the gas tank with good gasoline, bout 5 liter now ( the bad one was +2 liter) and give auxliary electricity from my car to honda, no help.

So I transfered the bike to my home, and took it to parts. Here are something:

-Start motor is working good, and engine moves good (for what I hear)

-There is spark, at least somekind. Spark plugs are NGK and they looks like good and meaby pretty new.

-Gas pump is pumping, and I drained the fuel lines clean. Then started bike with gas line token off from carb, gas comes good.

-I drained the carbs, opened bottom screw so they are out of fuel.

-Then started with gas, spark plugs seems to go wet after that, so its getting gas?

What the fuck, if it get gas, and spark, why it wont run?

Meaby it wont get enough spark, or enough gas?

AND, that sudden death, it worked so perfectly for so old bike (odometer is 108000km)

Please, give me some way to go, I would not like to remove the carbs, at least they are now so good syncronized and choke and everything works perfectly... or at least did.

• Member Contributer

Hyyva paiva!

Did you try running it with some Pohjan Poika 59??? :goofy:

If that fails (only kidding...)

Soon the more electical minded will jump in, but did you have you battery load tested in a garage?

How much voltage do you read at say 5,000 rpm?

How do your electrical connectors look? Brown/molten?

Hehe :)

As you know, my bike is not running at all, cannot check the power at RPM.

And, I have given it auxliary power from my car, with very good power cables.

I will clean and check all electrical components what I can see, thats my next move, cause I cannot do anything else without instructions :/

What does your battery read? I had a similar issue a few months ago. For what ever reason, hooking it up to the car did not help. I replaced the battery and problem solved. You may have already said this I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Is it cranking or just nothing?

• Member Contributer

i bet you a cab ride its your fuel pump.

the 86 was notorious for crappy fuel pumps.

which is why you will find threads on here how to run the bike with no pump.

there is a simple way to check if its the pump..

unplug the wire to the pump..

turn the gas off and remove the gas lines to and from the pump..

now.. plug in a double male line connector or a fuel filter..and turn the gas on.. you MAY need to lift the back of the tank up as to not the pinch the lines

so have some help you.

then start the bike..

if it goes vrooom.

you found the problem.

some people will say .." just unplug the lines the and test the pump with no gas in it."

WRONG!!!!!

the pumps LEAK. i have had 2 catch fire .. and know 4 other people with hot crotch syndrome!!

the gas shorts out the pump.. the drys .. then pump works again.. then.. shorts.. and drys and works...and shorts and poof! hot crotch!

now, i have sent a PM about the charging issues as your bike is kinda famous for those too.

if is not the battery .. PM me about fixing the pump. :beer:

Hello all and thank you from great response!

As I said, bike's start motor runs with its own battery, but battery is pretty small so I have given extra power from my car :)

So I think that battery is not the problem.

Gas pump is pretty good answer, however, when I disconnect fuel line from carburator, and try to start the bike, pump pumps the gas out of line pretty ok. Thats the same when you turn the ACC on, pump makes short squirt to make "pressure" to the fuel line.

I am still thinking that bike gets both spark and fuel, but not enough fuel maybe?

I will next test that fuel pump, giving fuel from tank with gravity. Then I will clean all electrical connections. If those wont help, more help will be needed.

Feel free to give me futher advice, I will proceed with bike tomorrow afternoon :)

• Member Contributer

you completely missed my post..

try running it with out the pump.. the pump MAY SEAM FINE>> BUT IS NOT..

try running gas right to the carb!. :fing02:

Brtoooroaosrodfaf!

We tried, no help. Situation is this:

-When I pour some gas from canister, directly to carburetor fuel line, carburators will fill.

-If I pour carburator emty, from the screw on the bottom of carburator, and then pour more gas from canister, carb fills again.

So, gas goes to carburators, as I suspected, so its not the fuel pump issue.

Somehow, gas wont go any futher, so.... carbs looks like pretty ugly, I think nobody have cleaned em likely.

Is there nothing else to do but clean carburators, and hope that jets are blocked?

Only think I can imagine is this scenario, from the beginning of problem:

Wroooooom------Gas goes out-----Bike stops----(meaby bad gas from bottom of the tank or some rubbish goes to carb???)----I refuel little from canister (meaby bad gas???)----bike wont start.......

So, carbs could meaby gone bad if bad gas, or some rubbish from the bottom of tank, has blocked jets.

OR

There is some mystery problem remaining, what killed the bike right from the beginning.

help..... :(((( :comp13:

• Member Contributer

so.. you are saying that with gas.. the bike runs..

but doesnt run when you have the fuel pump hooked up .. take a guess what the problem is.

if you are worried about bad gas.. then drain the tank..

I am sorry, meaby my english is poor or I am idiot...

I am saying, that the bike gets gas, no matter if I give gas directly from canister, without pump or tank, OR with bike's own tank and pump. So, fuel pump is, with high probability fine :cool:

Carburators get gas, and they fill. BUT. Gas wont go any futher :mad: Engine wont start. Even with direct gasoline to carburator hose.

AND with starting spray, the engine STARTS FOR SECONDS, but wont still suck gasoline from carb.

Anyone got any tips for disassembling the carburators? Problem must be in carbs, there is no any choices I can see.

Thank you from patience.. hope I got big V running again

Archived