Pop Noise From Chain

Guest shovelhead

Guest shovelhead

I have a 96 VFR 750 and get a popping noise from my chain. Ive put it on the center stand and checked the tension. Seems to pop at the master link when coming around the rear sprocket. Not sure what to check now.

• Member Contributer

How lubricated is the chain? What was your chain maintenance interval? I.e. Every 500 miles. What's the chain slack/tension like right now? Is it within spec? Does the chain seem really stiff anywhere else? Or just at the master link?

How lubricated is the chain? What was your chain maintenance interval? I.e. Every 500 miles. What's the chain slack/tension like right now? Is it within spec? Does the chain seem really stiff anywhere else? Or just at the master link?

Chain is lubricated with white lithium grease. I check it every other gas stop. Right now it has about an inch of play. Chain does not seem stiff anywhere else. All I can think is that Im a little big for a 750 (6'3" and 260 lbs) Maybe the weight has something to do with it? No clue! New to all this.

• Member Contributer

The VFR is good for riding two-up and you're nowhere near the rated limit for the bike. Like Duc was pointing out, you've probably got a kink in the chain or there's an issue with the master link (pressed too tight?) that is basically a kink in the chain.

All I can think is that Im a little big for a 750 (6'3" and 260 lbs) Maybe the weight has something to do with it? No clue! New to all this.

• Member Contributer

Chain is lubricated with white lithium grease. I check it every other gas stop. Right now it has about an inch of play. Chain does not seem stiff anywhere else. All I can think is that Im a little big for a 750 (6'3" and 260 lbs) Maybe the weight has something to do with it? No clue! New to all this.

No offense meant here, but checking a chain and maintaining a chain are two different items. I check my chain just about every time I am about to hop the bike but I clean/lube and inspect it about every 500-600 miles, more if I ride in dirty/dusty areas, or near the coast. Couple more questions, is this a new chain or has it been on the bike long? It's possible that the o-ring was not installed on the master link and is therefore "binding" at the pivot points. Can you look that the side of the chain at the master link and see if there is scarring on the inside of the master link plates. Can you also rotate the rear tire while the bike is on the center stand to where the master link is at the lowest point and see if you can "bend" the chain at the master link pivot points. This might be the best position to view for scarring too.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem fixed. Chain was bad so I replaced the chain and sprockets. They had about 15,000 miles on them. Went ahead and did the brakes while I was on a roll. Thanks for the feedback.

• Member Contributer

Problem fixed. Chain was bad so I replaced the chain and sprockets. They had about 15,000 miles on them. Went ahead and did the brakes while I was on a roll. Thanks for the feedback.

No worries, thanks for the follow up. Always good to know what the end results are. Glad you got it resolved.

• Member Contributer

As Duc2V4 said - Thanks for the follow up! That is one thing a majority of our posts lack. Then you wind up with people guessing a solution to your post for the next two years. Now go wear that new one out!

Archived