Vf1000F Fork Question

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

I'm going to be replacing the fork seals on my '84 and wanted to know if anyone here has completely disassembled the lowers. Specifically, I need to know if it's a big deal to get the smal adjustment knob/mechanism off the left leg. I plan to powder coat the legs and anti-dive unit while I have the front end off, but I'll need to get the legs completely apart to do it properly. The anti-dive system is a bit different than what's on my CB1100F:

RFCaliper1-2_zps782591f1.jpg

Also, are there any other components that I should consider replacing while I have the forks apart?

Thanks.

The knob has a tiny grub screw underneath and once the knob is off (and the trac body is off) the shaft pushes out the back of the fork.

Probably need to replace the upper/outer fork bush in each leg.

• Member Contributer

The knob has a tiny grub screw underneath and once the knob is off (and the trac body is off) the shaft pushes out the back of the fork.

Probably need to replace the upper/outer fork bush in each leg.

+1

• Member Contributer

RFCaliper1-2_zps782591f1.jpg

Also, are there any other components that I should consider replacing while I have the forks apart?

Thanks.

If that picture really & truly shows original rubber brake lines on a 29 year old bike, then you may want to consider replacing those. Steel braided brake lines are a nice upgrade.

Ron

• Member Contributer

If that picture really & truly shows original rubber brake lines on a 29 year old bike, then you may want to consider replacing those. Steel braided brake lines are a nice upgrade.

Ron

Those are original brake lines, Ron and you're right in that they should be replaced. Perhaps that will be an upcoming weekend project. The only thing is that the brakes on that bike are unbelievable. I can lock them up with one finger!

Archived