Reserve A 5Th Gen Solo Rack From Kanadianken

MotoSensation

Thanks RazorWing,

Ken provides two 35mm and two 25mm spacers for the bracket. I used the 25mm and bought two 1/2 inch (approx. 13mm) spacers to lower the assembly a bit. I had to shim the left side a bit to make up for the thick mounting bracket for the Staintune pipe, but that only required a couple of flat washers. As an OBTW, I also cut a piece of 5/16 rubber fuel line and put it on the left rear edge of the bracket to make for a more comfortable hand grip when maneuvering around the garage, putting on the centerstand, etc.

Pictures are before, after and the grip.

Hope this helps.

That looks great! I really like the idea of using it for getting on the center stand! I already struggle with that a little and have been using the helmet lock.

I was able to get a Garagepro (JCWhittney) box on mine. I will post pictures soon! I can't wait to put it to use. I'm pretty sure this rack is capable of much more weight then the bike could even handle, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks RazorWing,

Ken provides two 35mm and two 25mm spacers for the bracket. I used the 25mm and bought two 1/2 inch (approx. 13mm) spacers to lower the assembly a bit.

Pictures are before, after and the grip.

Hope this helps.

I helped Kanadian Ken with some of the fit up issues. I agree, lower would be better, but as you can see from the last picture, the bracket gets really close to the bodywork. Every bike is going to be a little different too, so some might have a couple of millimeters clearance and some might touch. To be on the safe side, it had to be on the "more clearance" side of things or people might complain the rack touched their bodywork and scratched/gouged/wore the paint off, etc.

The rack is 1.5" shorter than the original too if you can believe that. It would be nice to be another inch or two shorter, but with thicker touring seats it makes it more difficult to get on and off. Since this rack is made to fit every combination that Ken could think of, some compromises had to be made.

I use the space between the rack and seat to carry a thin tank bag of things I don't care if they get wet (rain gear, sandals, etc) while on a big trip.

For anyone interested in checking a rack out, I will be in Indy this weekend for MotoGP with the rack on my bike.

Glad it worked for you RazorWing.

IMHO this is the best method out there for putting a hard case on a Gen 5, so long as you travel solo of course. I completely understand the necessity for its height; even with my separate pillion there's not much room for removing/reinstalling the seat. And, as wera803 points out, the area below the bracket is usable for storage too.

Wera803, you and Ken did good. Enjoy Indy. BTW, where did you find 90 degree valve stems?

BTW, where did you find 90 degree valve stems?

I used to run chrome 90 degree valve stems from www.patchboy.com part number 17-562

I switched to the 83 degree stems from www.kurvygirl.com a few years ago which are much nicer.

• 1 year later...
Sorry, I don't have the "big box". Here are pictures with my 46L box though. imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F15%2F05%2F20%2Fa6a65ef1b4c77fd8200022da7c051436.jpg&key=7fd8890db8be05be7a9ba1dad392effe4380ea11bca2611e3905db9d1e0e3178imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F15%2F05%2F20%2Ff5f645ced0d630ba7e3a9f153c97ce1a.jpg&key=fc824849bc5d02367cefdf79cdcc728e2d8c8f7e592791bbbfa3fac80aef1ed4

Wera803--What brand of hard bags are in your pic? I love their lines--I think they'd look great on the 5th-Gen I'm buying (in yellow, of course).

Wera803--What brand of hard bags are in your pic? I love their lines--I think they'd look great on the 5th-Gen I'm buying (in yellow, of course).

I have the Corbin Beetle Bags on my 5th gen. They aren't made anymore, but you can find them used once in a while.

Kperham may even have a set of yellow ones right now he is looking to sell.

I have the Corbin Beetle Bags on my 5th gen. They aren't made anymore, but you can find them used once in a while.
Kperham may even have a set of yellow ones right now he is looking to sell.

Thanks for the information! I'll PM Kperham to see if that's the case (no pun intended); those are the best-looking bags I've ever seen on a 5th-Gen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 10:56 AM, MsRN98 said:

Thanks for the information! I'll PM Kperham to see if that's the case (no pun intended); those are the best-looking bags I've ever seen on a 5th-Gen.

It appears kperham cannot receive messages.  :unsure:  Anyone know how to contact him?

Archived