Tom's Vf1000F Revival

tomk1960

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful job, Tom - I'm envious! Wish I had the time, money and patience to do to my 700 what you've accomplished. One question, did you refinish the mufflers, or did they clean up that nicely?

• Member Contributer

Beautiful job, Tom - I'm envious! Wish I had the time, money and patience to do to my 700 what you've accomplished. One question, did you refinish the mufflers, or did they clean up that nicely?

There's really not a lot of money in this restoration, besides the usual stuff such as a battery, rebuild kits, chain and sprockets, etc. The biggest expenses were the top end oiler kit and carb overhaul. I had Mike Nixon in CA go through the carbs since they're quite different than the ones I'm used to overhauling.

Time and patience are definitely key. If you're in a rush, then you'll never do everything you hoped to do. I try to attack my bikes during the winter when I can't ride them anyway.

My mufflers were ok to look at, but nothing spectacular. I got a spare pair on CL and used them as guinea pigs for powder coating. I media blasted and washed them, and then shot them with a base coat of silver metallic followed by a couple topcoats of black chrome. They came out nice and hopefully they'll hold up fine.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Beautiful....and those mirrors look like a work of art!

• 3 years later...

Archived