Tom's Vf1000F Revival

tomk1960

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do check the coils Tom, my 84 VF1000R coils were split from end to end (stupid me too a long time to notice, despite changing all the wires). Accell makes coils for these bikes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I guess I never mentioned in this thread that I sorted out the issue and now the bike runs GREAT! It was a simple carb issue relating to the bowl vent hoses. They were mis-routed and once corrected, it was like the cat was let out of the bag. Now the bike rips through the RPMs with no stumbling, no hesitation - nothing. It's a blast!

Last week was a poor riding week. Hopefully this one will be better so that I can pile some miles on this baby. Ride safe!

I think it has rained from Maine to Georgia each and every day this summer.

It will be dry soon enough and you can go enjoy that beauty.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

My winter restoration work is coming along nicely. So far I have the entire brake system powder coated and ready for rebuilding. The exhaust cannisters are like new again and ready to go back on. Today I refreshed all of the footpeg hardware - brackets, levers, bolt heads - you name it. I finally got around to finishing the white letters done on my clutch cover too.

20140222_130507_zpsyirsmtbp.jpg

These are all ready to back on the bike, but that will have to wait a while since I will be pulling off the header pipes and collector, center stand, and swingarm for cleanup and fresh powder. Once those are done, reassembly can begin. If I have the bike back together in time for the start of riding season, I'll be happy.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Kel. No issues with tool fitment as long as I don't lay the powder on too thick. The smaller allen heads are snug fits with the tool, but I can get it in. The hex head bolts are all fine. I also test fit various bits and pieces before PC'ing to make sure there was sufficient clearance for a finish coat. Splined areas were masked or plugged, but where the pins go to hold the pegs in place, there was plenty of slop to coat everything.

20140222_182107_zpsd7bfenik.jpg

20140222_182118_zpsovnyvzq4.jpg

20140222_182257_zpsncsvidc5.jpg

I can't wait to start reassembling!

How's your VF1000R coming?

• Member Contributer

Here are a couple of before and after shots of a front footpeg. I didn't realize how grungy they looked until I had everything apart.

20140223_123002_zpsxo1nmdu1.jpg

20140223_122920_zpsokjxferk.jpg

• Member Contributer

How did you refinish that front peg. They are awesome!! I've been cleaning and polishing mine but they don't look anywhere close to yours.

Thanks! The pegs, brackets, and all the hardware were blasted clean and powder coated with all-in-one chrome.

• Member Contributer

Good progress was made today. I got the swingarm, center stand, and header/collector assembly off the bike. They're all pretty grungy.

20140301_175959_zps0fhrnjun.jpg

Ironically, the header pipes are in great shape and have no rust. The collector assembly needs to be blasted and shot with high temp powder. I'm debating whether or not to touch the header pipes though.

So the remaining parts that I wanted to restore are now off the bike. I'll start cleaning and prepping tomorrow and hopefully they'll be done within a couple of weeks.

20140301_144220_zpss6id9ye5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks great! I can't wait to see the finished project!!!!!

I have a simple question for all you guys that have restored various VF's over the years. Honda has always been the industry leader in fit and finish by a wide margin. However, I've noticed that all the VF's from the 500 to the 1000 had one issue that has bugged me since buying my first V4 Interceptor in the early 80's. It's the mating point between the tail fairing and the mid-piece under the seat. They never seem to match up perfectly, even when every other joint is nearly seamless. What's up with that, Honda?

• Member Contributer

Lookin' good Tom. Your shop looks like a cozy place to work during the NE winters. Call me jealous.

• Member Contributer

Lots more progress made this week. The swingarm came out really nice and I couldn't be happier...

20140304_221332_zpsrelrm8gt.jpg

The 2 linkage pieces that connect the shock to the swinger were a mess, so they were refinished in a silver powder that was very close to stock:

20140308_163532_zpsd1riz3ms.jpg

Before and after shots with the center stand were pretty dramatic:

20140301_180023_zpsgaxppgor.jpg

After blasting and prep work, this got a coat of zinc primer before the final coat went on. Rust should be a thing of the past from now on...

20140307_071226_zpsviygn4z5.jpg

I finished up a few more parts today and am now nearly done with the refinishing process. A couple more weeks and I should be ready to reassemble.

20140308_163458_zpswbwhngqp.jpg

Kel came over and hung out for the day. It was great having some company in the shop, especially when it's someone who's totally into the same hobby. Once again, the forum has brought me another good friend, which is the best part of the hobby.

• Member Contributer

I had a great "internship" at Tom's Cycle Recycling. Tom was very kind to let me follow him around while he filled an order to give me some pointers on my own powder coating. As a powder coating hobbyist, his shop setup was enviable to say the least. It was quickly apparent that he is meticulous. I watched as he did a set of covers for a CB owner, a chrome base with a clear top coat. Somewhere this week, someone is going to open a box of goodies and be totally stoked.

That center stand for his F looked unreal up close. Hard to tell from the pic, but he bead blasted the rotors braking surface and it came out awesome along with the fresh coat of silver on the inner ring.

He has a nice stable in his Man Cave including a red/white CB1100F and a gorgeous '82 silver CB900F(please post a pic). That thing was truly flawless. The cool this is...he's slowly falling in love with that big V4 sitting on the lift.

• Member Contributer

Epic thread, would love to see the shop! (I'm only 40 minutes South)

Kel can vouch for me, I will not touch a thing :wink:

You're welcome to come up any Saturday morning and hang out while I powder coat. It's always good to have company while I work. But be aware that Kel has exagerrated just a bit and has made my shop sound nicer than I would say it is. But I appreciate the compliments. :)

As requested, here's a pic of my '82 900F in original condition and nearly bone stock. The only upgrades are the CBR600F2 coils and CB1100F bars.

1982CB900F_zpsa8e9a3cc.jpg

Archived