Bike Ramps...how Long?

JZH

• Member Contributer

I'm new to this motorcycle-hauling business, but I now have a suitable vehicle and what I need is a ramp. :biggrin: The deck height is a low 24-25", so I'm thinking I could use a four-fold 6-7' aluminum ramp like this:

post-362-0-09372700-1367674007.jpg

post-362-0-67159700-1367674019.jpg

Many of these are made in China, so I should be able to find them in HK for not too much money. I know longer is better. Anything else I should think about, experienced motorbike ramp users?

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

I use two ramps on my low trailer....One for the bike and one for me to walk up. Never try to stand on the ground and push your bike up a ramp. Once it starts leaning the opposite direction - it is GONE.

I used to use 7' arched aluminum ramps to load my 31" deck height pickup truck. I could load the truck from a level surface. I was very unhappy with the expanded aluminum bed of the ramps though.

I changed to 6' Harbor Freight steel ramps (which I'm much happier with). But now I need to load using a curb or other slope to decrease the ramp/deck angle. (modified deck height)

Very simple geometric calculations based on (modified?) deck height and wheelbase and ground clearance of your bike should indicate what length of ramp you will need.

Archived