Took Betsy Out For A Ride... Had To 2-Up With Brother Back Home.

volt meter is wired to the right low beam headlight. that way it is only on when key is on. I do lose it when high beams are on, but 99.9% of it's life will be totally useful.

As for the # values. I thought the exact number was less important than the steadiness of the readings. right? wrong? I was only looking for consistent numbers.

Precision without accuracy. :)

Clutch fluid is brand new as of last month. Brake fluid is old, but clean. It is the sight-windows that are hazed over and need to either be sanded/polished or replaced.

• Member Contributer

A voltmeter doesn't do any good if it isn't showing the right value. There are other places you can tap into if you don't want to wire it directly to the battery which are switched. Or you can toss in any old 12V relay and wire it to that.

A voltmeter doesn't do any good if it isn't showing the right value. There are other places you can tap into if you don't want to wire it directly to the battery which are switched. Or you can toss in any old 12V relay and wire it to that.

I only picked the headlight because the wires were already exposed and accessible. Any specific suggestions for better locations?

Go straight to the battery and put an inline rocker switch. That's what I plan on doing. I am replacing the RR and associated wiring +connectors per mello dudes instructions:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/69571-compufire-rr-install-wrap-up-on-a-5th-gen-finally/#entry813334

I figured that I would go ahead and put this on while I was at it. With the meter to the battery directly and the rocker switch I will be able to see the voltage without the key being in the bike if I was so inclined.

Here is the rocker switch I bought:

pRS1-12440596w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12708880

I plan on putting the volt meter on the left side grey fairing on the flat smooth spot.

I think my lack of desire to dig any deeper right now, is that the bike is pinned up in a corner at the body shop. there's just enough room to squat around it, and I haven't felt like getting the fairings off lately.

I DO like the idea of showing the actual voltage, so I may end up rewiring close to the battery, and I certainly like the idea of having it on a switched connection.

Archived