Thoughts On Boeshield T9 Lubricant

Havagan

• Member Contributer

Has anyone ever used this Boeshield T-9 Solvent/Lubricant before?

http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-Corrosion-Protection-Waterproof-Lubrication/dp/B001447PEK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

On a whim I picked up a can and used it to clean/protect all the electrical connections on the bike and exposed bolts. It supposedly coats and inhibits corrosion, is waterproof, etc. etc. etc. I'm kind of curious what the chemist types on here think.

http://boeshield.com/boeshield-t9-technical-data/

Paul

• Member Contributer

Sounds like liquid spray wax. But I'm not a chemist...just a dental scientist...

• Member Contributer

I've been using it for years on anything that needs a heavier level of protection than WD-40.

It's great stuff and lasts a long time to protect electrical connections or to put a corrosion-proof coating on a nut/bolt assembly. You do have to be judicious about applying it because it creates a thicker coating than a lot of the spray lubricants. The other issue is that the spray can form of it tends to get it all over everything close by and the squeeze bottle applicator makes it hard to get it exactly where you want it. On the whole, though, it's one of my favorite formulations, somewhere between grease and WD-40 with a very long life once it's applied.

WD40 stands for Water Displacer, 40th formula. It is meant to dry out ignition systems. It is not advertised as a lubricant(read the can)

as a protectant, it evaporates very fast, leaving maybe a trace of some type of solvent. It's great stuff ,but don't expect it to do what it was never designed to do.

Just my $.02

I use Boelube paste and gel for drilling/reaming/machining at home and at work. I'm sure it will coat your connections for some time, but a heavy grease would be best.

Archived