Fork Oil Weight For 84 Vf1000R

thx113

I am about to rebuild the forks for my 84 VF1000RE and would like any educated opinions on fork oil weight and height.

Thanks

Jeff

• Member Contributer

I'd recommend some Race-Tech Gold cartridge emulators & the weight of oil they recommend. If you are refurbing the fork lowers then I'd also recommend having them hard anodized, this reduces the corrosion inside the fork lowers & keeps the oil clean & working better longer ! It would also take up some of the clearance lost to wear assuming a reasonable mileage covered by the bike already.

If you can get some suitable fork tops then you could upgrade to cartridge fork inners & or replacement cartridges like those produced by Traxxion Dynamics. They don't list the VF1000R but can make custom fit fork caps if required.

Thanks for the reply Mohawk. Maybe emulators in the future but not now. This is just to get it rideable. The inside of the lower legs is as close to perfect as you get in second hand. I see no wear or galling in evidence.

I have new fork legs by forking by frank, plus new Honda seals and bushes. The intention is to get the bike back to factory specs for handling and performance.

I won't be racing the bike, just casual riding, mostly in the country. If I really felt like riding hard the 1000R's would not be coming out of the shed, I would take the scooter instead. Much better suited to the job and parts are readily available (fairings, tanks and the other stuff that gets damaged during horizontal excursions).

Thanks Jamie. I will go with the 10w, I have some Honda pro 10w in the shed already. The bike has a new Hagon on the back end so I just want to get the front up to a passable performance standard.

• Member Contributer

any educated opinions on fork oil weight and height.

Thanks

Jeff

weight fluctuates between 70-75 kg, and I find for height, a nice even 6 foot is about right. Any help? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

cheers mate

ian

Err, 90-95kg and 175cm (5' 10"). need heavier springs than you though - have some racetech 0.95's for one of the 1000R's.

any educated opinions on fork oil weight and height.

Thanks

Jeff

weight fluctuates between 70-75 kg, and I find for height, a nice even 6 foot is about right. Any help? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

cheers mate

ian

• 4 weeks later...

I'm up to spring selection for the 84 1000R.

The choices are;

Original springs used

"Progressive" springs

Ikon standard duty springs (progressive)

Ikon heavy duty springs (progressive)

Race tech 0.95 linear springs

I weigh 95 kg without riding gear. Intended use is country touring with a little city riding.

I would appreciate advice on what would be a good spring to use.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I can set you up with a set of fork springs, just shoot me an email.

Something to keep in mind is that and progressive rate spring is bad. You want springs that are a linear rate.

Thanks Jamie. I already have one pair of prog springs and one set of race tech 0.95 springs. If the progressives don't feel good I will order some linear rate ones from you.

Archived