Removing Tank Without Key?

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

Sorry, meant to say removing the tank Cap without a key that fits

My (new to me VF750F) came with three different keys, and none of them fit the tank lock :-(

tankKey.jpg

I have one for the ignition (well 2 work), and another to unlock the seat from the rear cowl. I've tried every key I have, and I have a few ;-) Nothing will unlock it. It seems that none of the keys go totally into the lock and it fells like something is stuck down inside stopping them short.

What are my options? Do I have to drill the barrel out? Never done that before. Bit scary.

cheers

ian

• Member Contributer

1st.... LUBE it..

if that doesnt work..

2nd .. use a slide hammer for body work..a 5 lb one should do the job..

3rd. you CAN drill it out..

but you still may have a hard time turning the lock. you need the right size bit..

the slide hammer most likely will bend the lip of that tank..and will need to be lightly hammered back into place.

• Member Contributer

Monk, I don't believe that is a screw. If memory serves me correctly that is a pivot for the the cover that used to cover the keyway and prevent and object or moisture from getting into the lock.

I would rather pay a locksmith $35-50 bucks to open the tank than to pay for damage to the tank from me trying to fr the cap open.

My money is on the ignition key being the same as the tank key but something is stuck in the keyway preventing the key from working. Locksmith should be able to sove that.

Archived