Garmin 2495Lmt - Anyone Have One?

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Still trying to find a solution to my crapped out zumo 450. What I want:

1. Garmin

2. Lifetime map updates included

3. Bluetooth functionality

4. Ability to listen to mp3 either thru device itself or by pairing with smartphone

5. Waterproof/resistant either by design or by adding a box

6. Securely locking on bike

The Zumo 660LM fits the bill, but it is $650. The other zumo's are either in that price range with less functions or slightly less (the 220) with significant shortcomings (no mp3, no lifetime maps, and still $400).

The automotive Nuvi models I have questions about durability in the outdoor environment (moisture, UV, vibration). I can take care of the moisture and UV with a RAM mount Aquabox, but still question whether vibration would kill the device within a year or two. Also I give up the ability to use the screen effectively with gloves on most likely.

Has anyone used the Nuvi 2495? It seems to be the closest thing to checking all the boxes at a $180 price point (plus $50 for the Aquabox). What it is missing is possible susceptibility to vibration, no ability to lock securely, and not glove friendly...a reasonable trade off for the price perhaps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401&pID=97243

• Member Contributer

Hi,

I've had the Nuvi 765T mounted on my bikes for the past four years and have had no problems.

It comes with lifetime traffic (receiver is in the power cord)

Lifetime maps run $90

It has bluetooth (connected to my Sena SMH10)

It has an MP3 player. I have a 4gb in it with about 1,000 songs.

Touch screen works with gloves

As far as security, I have the locking RAM mount and have superglued the GPS into the GPS RAM mount and have a 4-pin code on it.

I have an aquabox, but RAMs picture is a little deceiving. The box is quite a bit larger than the GPS. I have the medium size one. Seeing that I live in Tucson and it only rains about 10 days a year, I just use a clear sandwich bag for rain coverage.

If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Sight Seer

Do ya think the waterproofing, actually cuts down on life via Heat, they are awful expensive compared to non waterproof, you could buy 3 or 4 non waterproofs, and risk failure from rain, which I ive not have any non waterproof exposed to some rain have failure.

Seems to me the life time map models already price in a map update in their pricing,although there's an auto one at walmart, for $119 with lifetime, that seems to be considerable deal if lifetime mapping is a must. Really though, life time mapping is good for delivery drivers, for small road changes, but Big major roads change at a much slower pace. Im just not sure how important life time mapping is for a traveling motorcycle.

I guess though, when you buy the garmin, is it the most current map, or do you get to update it initially, mine is about 6 years old, and I updated after about 4 years of use, mainly because of an increase in detailed delivery, not normally needed for general travel use.

I recently found myself looking for a new GPS, and while I loved the 660 I had, it was expensive, and the internals were absolutely horrid.

To mount a spare car GPS I had running around, a Nuvi 205W if I remember, I took the 660 cradle off the TechMount, and utilized high-tech gagetry hard-found at Target. I got a TomTom kit for powering GPS's. It had a 12V cigarette lighter socket to USB adapter, and a couple of applicable USB cables. That was wired in with zip ties to a socket I connected to the battery. Of course you need to use zip ties that match your bike color. :tongue:

Wrap it all up with several of those 3M velcro thingys that you can remove. You know, the stuff that started out as those removable hooks that I loved for using in dorm rooms.

I was actually looking at some of those trucker-oriented GPSs, I was at a truck stop, and some of them appear to have bluetooth, and most importantly, larger screens. 5 inch diagonal screens. I've learned with computer monitors, and using friends small GPSs, I don't want to be looking at a tiny screen. The easier it is to read while riding, the better.

BTW, no problem using the 205W's screen while wearing gloves.

::EDIT::

In my city, roads are changing fast enough that I would like updates at least once a year.

Also, just checked the dimensions of Aqua Box, looks like most of the trucking GPSs are too big even for the large Aqua Box.

• Member Contributer
Hi,

I've had the Nuvi 765T mounted on my bikes for the past four years and have had no problems.

It comes with lifetime traffic (receiver is in the power cord)

Lifetime maps run $90

It has bluetooth (connected to my Sena SMH10)

It has an MP3 player. I have a 4gb in it with about 1,000 songs.

Touch screen works with gloves

As far as security, I have the locking RAM mount and have superglued the GPS into the GPS RAM mount and have a 4-pin code on it.

I have an aquabox, but RAMs picture is a little deceiving. The box is quite a bit larger than the GPS. I have the medium size one. Seeing that I live in Tucson and it only rains about 10 days a year, I just use a clear sandwich bag for rain coverage.

If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Sight Seer

I like your idea of super gluing the unit into the cradle. I also have the RAM locking "handle screw" so that would make it secure.

What about an old smart phone? I picked up an older HTC EVO 4G off eBay for about $50. Put the phone in Airplane mode (since I don't have service on the phone anyways), installed Copilot GPS and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Since it's still a phone, you can save your music to the SD card and stream via Bluetooth.

If you put the phone in an AquaBox, then you solve the waterproof problem... but since most phones are cap touch, they probably wont work with gloves.

I know it's an odd solution, but I've probably got $60 wrapped up into this project (minus the cost of the Ram Mount). If the phone decides to jump out of my Ram Mount and bounce down the road... I'm out $50 (won't have to re-purchase Copilot), not $650.

• Member Contributer
What about an old smart phone? I picked up an older HTC EVO 4G off eBay for about $50. Put the phone in Airplane mode (since I don't have service on the phone anyways), installed Copilot GPS and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Since it's still a phone, you can save your music to the SD card and stream via Bluetooth.

If you put the phone in an AquaBox, then you solve the waterproof problem... but since most phones are cap touch, they probably wont work with gloves.

I know it's an odd solution, but I've probably got $60 wrapped up into this project (minus the cost of the Ram Mount). If the phone decides to jump out of my Ram Mount and bounce down the road... I'm out $50 (won't have to re-purchase Copilot), not $650.

I've been using a 3G Droid X with CoPilot Live since my zumo crapped out, and it just doesn't work for me. CoPilot is incredibly finicky if you stray off route and a PITA to use IMO. Also, charging/power issues are problematic due to the phone needing more than 1A of current while in "continuous on" mode. Some pairing issues also between my Sena and the phone when using CoPilot. Many times after CoPilot has cut into the mp3 stream with some directions, the music will not restart automatically. All around, just more trouble than it's worth in my situation.

Archived