Cleaning & Oiling K&n Filters

Auspanglish

Like the title says... if your a K&N filter owner or have been in the past... how do/did you clean and reoil yours? Did you use the OEM K&N cleaning and oiling products or some other option? How did you decide on wht alternative products to use?

I use warm water with dishwashing liquid, a shower head with medium pressure... always careful not to overdo the water pressure (never a high-pressure Gurney or Karscher car washer type) a couple of days to dry out and a fairly light rattlecan chain oil by Kraaft that I have always used on my chains (it's not a gunky teflon chainlube and it's not so light that it drips into the airbox in hot summer weather).

If I need to use the bike I throw in an OEM paper filter which I still have (in good nick) while I wait for the K&N to dry.

Got about 100,000 km out of mine so far.

Lets hear your version...

• Member Contributer

I've used K&N air filters for years on several motorcycles to include my current one, a VFR 1200. I always use the K&N products to clean and re-oil the filter and have not had any problems with them. I put 100K miles on the last one and cleaned it regularly at 10K miles.

I use 409 to clean & K&N oil......... 100k miles no problems.

Is 409 a domestic degreaser spray or what??

Just how viscous is that K&N oil?? Can you compare its viscosity to some other oil or liquid??

I just use the K&N brand cleaning kit. I figure if I'm going to make the change, I may as well not rock the ship and use the stuff made to make the filter work. Once you get past the initial cost of purchasing the filter, costs a whole lot less than buying OEM paper filters!

Thing is, once you get onto the penny pintching wagon by buying one of these filters (their only real advantage is cost savings)... if you're like me you like to take things that one step further... I do all my maintenance myself and well, if it's possible and cheaper and not harmful... why not?

Lots of ingenuity and DIY know-how on VFRD and that's why I'm on here...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I wash the filter with Dawn (a common dish detergent in the US) in my kitchen sink and then wave it in the air to clear most of the water. If I am in a hurry I may take a shop vacuum and go over the filter lightly.

The K&N oil that I bought 20 years ago in squeeze bottle was just transmission fluid. I have used transmission fluid for my K&N (and my BRC) but I like the ease of using K&N spray oil and oiling 4 or 5 filters once a year hardly goes through a can in 3-4 years.

A most excellent and awesome reply Mr Cornercarver... thanks a million!!

Tranny fluid eh?? several engineer and mechanic friends of mine use transmission oil to lube their chains ans swear by it... I'm using a spray on chain oil (non-teflon) to prime my K&N filters so I can't be too far off.

Keep 'em comin' folks....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just cleaned my K&N air filter for the first time (2years service & 17k miles).

I used the K&N filter cleaning/oiling kit, as well as the grease for the air box o-ring.

For better or worse, I oiled both sides of the filter element.

It certainly beats purchasing a new air filter.

Kevin in ATL

2005 VFR800A

Archived