Large Leak On My 86 Vf500

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Guest VF500FInterceptor

Hey Everyone,

Wen't out to my garage yesterday because it was a nice day and I hadn't been able to ride in a week or so because of weather. To my dismay I walked in to a very large puddle under my bike. Oddly enough it is a crack in the fuel tank, and it looks like it's right on the seam.

So my question is, is it possible to clean out the whole tank, and repair the crack? I am not at a point where i can spend $250 on a new one so I am trying to find another alternative.

Please give me any idea you have! I want to go ride while the whether is still nice!!! :tour:

Tyler,

unfortunately i am at work right now so I cannot. All I can say is it is on the right side of the tank, and it looks like it is where the side of the tank meets the bottom. It does not look like it is a really bad crack but it was a very steady stream so I am not sure. I need to take of the tank and look at it. I am planning on doing that tonight so I will provide pictures then.

In your opinion would it be worth it just to wait and get a tank? or to look for a used one?

I have no idea how much rust is in there, and if it could compromise the tank or not.

• Member Contributer

time vs money... as is most things. The POR15 will do a very good job if you take your time with it.. if you don't feel confident, save the money and start looking for a replacement tank.

I think I am going to do what GazVF500 did on his My VF500 rebuild feed. I am going to weld the hole, and then use the POR 15 as well.

Thanks for the input!

Tyler

Must have been water accumulating below the gas at the bottom of the tank that caused it to corrode and rupture at the bottom seam. The POR15 treatment would be the best as you will be applying it on the correct side of the leak. I was thinking that you might also be able to use JB weld from the outside, but I wouldn't trust it as much as the corrosion will get worse behind it eventually, the JB weld will fall off and the leak will eventually come back...

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would update this discussion to let everyone know how things went. I ended up having a buddy of mine weld the crack, he also cut about a 4"x 4" hole in the bottom of the tank so that we could see inside to see if there was any rust. As far as we could tell it looked pretty clean. We then sand blasted the entire tank down, and I repainted it. I didn't spend a huge amount of time with the painting because I know I will eventually need to just buy a new tank, but it looks pretty good right now. Anyway thanks everyone for all of your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived