Bags Connection Engage Tank Bag (Older Version)

OrdinaryAverageGuy

• Member Contributer

Hey everybody, I have been flying under the radar for the last couple of years. I haven't posted nor have I been very active, I didn't ride much in 2011, considered selling the VFR but I am glad that I didn't. So, I am back, been riding a lot this year and I am planning on finally getting to the modifications I have always wanted to do. I will post my progress as I know everyone loves pics, myself included.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say tank you to those that take the time helping others, sharing and running this forum to make it a great resource.

I bought this tank bag/system in 2010, set it up, took pictures, and never got around to posting it, sorry about that. When I was looking to replace my magnetic tank bag, I found the Bags Connection options, info on them was scarce, and pictures were almost nonexistent so I feel this may still be relevant.

The Engage tank bag is not listed as an option for the VFR, I took a chance and ordered it anyway and you will see in some of the pictures it fits pretty well. I see that SW-Motec/Bags Connection have updated their line and made some improvements.

I have been using this setup for the past two years and overall I am happy with it. I say overall as I am not a tank bag kind of guy, I don’t like having anything in front of me, but this has worked ok for me. I wanted the smallest bag I could get, still hold what I needed and work with the GPS bracket. The Bags Connection option is expensive and not for everyone but the quality is there and you are getting what you pay for in this brand.

Is this an ideal solution? No, but I don’t think you will find one as everything is a compromise. Please keep that in mind as you view this, I am only sharing an option that I am currently using and not trying to pass it off as the “best thing since sliced bread”.

Also keep in mind that the pictures are two years old.

P1010102a.jpg

The bag and all of the parts, I ordered the electrified mount and the GPS bracket.

P1010107a.jpg

Yes, I am about to ruin the clean lines of this tank.

P1010109a.jpg

This is the way I ran the power cable, I stressed over the electric option because it would sit on the tank but I went ahead and got it anyway. So far I have no marks from it on my tank.

P1010110a.jpg

I ran the wire under the tank this way so I could still raise the tank if I needed to. This will still be a pain if you need to remove the tank completely so keep that in mind.

P1010112a.jpg

P1010116a.jpg

A couple of shots of how it looks.

P1010114a.jpg

A view from the top with no bag mounted, this is how it will always look so keep that in mind.

P1010126a.jpg

This shows that there is indeed no power when the bag is not mounted. There is a switch in the mount that activates when the bag is clipped on.

P1010136a.jpg

Bag mounted, we have power.

P1010141a.jpg

A shot of the bag I am replacing, the new bag is about the same size.

P1010165a.jpg

P1010151a.jpg

A few pictures of the bag mounted on my bike, I hope these help as I could find very few pictures of the bag mounted when I was looking for options.

P1010167a.jpg

A shot of the power connection I am using, I can power just about anything I want with this setup. There are a ton of options with Powerlet cables to setup whatever you may need.

P1010186a.jpg

A picture of the bottom and the mounting plate, I have to say that it was a pain to set this up just right as I am anal about getting it perfect.

P1010189a.jpg

A shot of how it sits in relation to the tank and taking my time to set it up right, you can see that it matches pretty well. I have had this bag stuffed and never had a problem with it sagging onto the tank.

P1010147a.jpg

Now, for one of the biggest reasons I went with this setup, the GPS bracket. I had to bend the bracket to get it to sit the way I wanted, it is not perfect but it works. I had tried a stem mounted bracket for my GPS, had nothing but problems, I hated it. I really didn’t want anything, the size of my GPS, mounted to my bars, another reason I went with this.

P1010168a.jpg

The bracket mounted to the bag.

P1010170a.jpg

My view of the bracket, I ran the power wire through the zipper in the top lid. This is one of my complaints of the bag, no wire pass trough’s. The newer version of this bag has them, I know I can get one from Powerlet if I want to make my own, I may still do this.

P1010176a.jpg

My view with the GPS mounted, it works quite well and doesn’t block my view of the dash. My only complaint is that it puts it a little close to me when I am riding, it works for me so that is all that matters. With the newer, smaller, lighter GPS’s out today this would work even better.

P1010171a.jpg

P1010174a.jpg

P1010175a.jpg

P1010178a.jpg

A few more pictures of the whole setup mounted.

P1010179a.jpg

One really nice feature, and another reason I went with this, just pull the tab/cord………

P1010182a.jpg

……… and the whole thing comes off together. This is simple and clean, great for getting gas and when I am stopped for a break.

Final thoughts, for a guy that doesn’t care for tank bags, (ME), it has worked out quite well. The bag doesn’t get in my way, because of the shape it doesn’t hinder arm movement, but I can feel it in my chest when I am riding more aggressively, no biggie.

I have read of some who don’t care for the shape because they say it wastes space, I haven’t had a problem with this for the things that I carry and I think the shape gives it a little style. The bag has held up really well for me, and it holds its shape, all of the pictures were taken with the bag completely empty.

I hope this helps and if you have questions I will try to answer as best I can.

Archived