3000 miles in 30 days. Time to start throwing money at it!!!!

Over the summer I saved a 93 VFR from further rotting in someones yard. The details can be found here.

The past 30 days I have been running the effing wheels off of it. It fits me perfect and is exactly what I want in a motorcycle. Smoother than my '86 VFR. Not as complicated as my 02 VFR I had. So, now that I have the bike I want my goal is to put about 100000 miles on it before I sell it or buy another daily rider. The past 30 days I've done just over 3000 miles. Over those miles I've found some shortcommings. Here is my list of winter items/mods.

1. I need a ambient temp gauge and clock. I'm getting this. The voltmeter should be a plus.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14124&Category_Code=Electronics

2. Rear shock. Probably going with a Jamie Daugherty CBR929 shock w/spring and revalve for my riding

3. Forks, Going with Honda VTR 1000/Superhawk forks since they bolt right into the stock triples. Racetech springs (1k since I'm hefty) and some 10 wt. fork oil. with this I'll need a 4th gen front wheel and some new discs. I know the CBR F4 forks and Yamaha R1 forks are both better but I'm not fast, not racing, and not in need of the bling.

4. Front brakes and master cylinder. I'm going with the 2001-2002 GSXR 1000 6 pot calipers and master since they bolt right onto the VTR forks.

5. Stainless clutch and brake lines. Probably HEL.

6. Powdercoating little items, rearsets, risers, triple, etc.

7. power adapters. I need heated gear and a gps!!! I'm tired of 4 layers and using google maps. My printer is tired!

8. someday, probably not this winter I'll be redoing the bodywork or farming it out to a pro. It's a 10 footer now but you can tell I'm no pro with the paint and junk.

Suggestions or comments? Anything to recommend? At the rate I'm going (bike has 32000 miles now) I should reach my 100000 mile mark in 5 years (about the time I retire from the Navy).

• Member Contributer

That looks like a great list, many of these are the same things I've been looking to address. I'm not sure that I'd need a ambient temp gauge though. I recently got a triple clamp adapter from ebay for the GPS, which has my clock and directions. I also have a voltmeter from ebay that taps power from my cigarette lighter (for gps and radar) that is surprising accurate and doesn't suck up juice since it is run off a relay. Most of this stuff I just got from Radiohack.

It may not matter to you, but it looks like the temp,voltmeter, clock your looking at isn't waterproof.

That looks like a great list, many of these are the same things I've been looking to address. I'm not sure that I'd need a ambient temp gauge though. I recently got a triple clamp adapter from ebay for the GPS, which has my clock and directions. I also have a voltmeter from ebay that taps power from my cigarette lighter (for gps and radar) that is surprising accurate and doesn't suck up juice since it is run off a relay. Most of this stuff I just got from Radiohack.

It may not matter to you, but it looks like the temp,voltmeter, clock your looking at isn't waterproof.

Yeah, I considered the non-waterproof issue but getting it water resistant will be easy and where I plan to put it should keep it dry also. I don't need the temp feature but it'll be nice to have since I'll be riding nearly year round.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a good project list. I've always said the white 3G was 1st on my buy list for a classic VFR, when did you say you were selling it?

:tongue:

Ha!!! Everything has a price!!! You'll have to wait a bit for this one though.

I'm patient, very nice looking bike. I'll get the shipping quote ready next week, looking forward to riding it.

:laugh:

Have fun with the upgrades and post lots of pics, it's a beauty.

Looks like a good project list. I've always said the white 3G was 1st on my buy list for a classic VFR, when did you say you were selling it?

:tongue:

Ha!!! Everything has a price!!! You'll have to wait a bit for this one though.

I'm patient, very nice looking bike. I'll get the shipping quote ready next week, looking forward to riding it.

:laugh:

Have fun with the upgrades and post lots of pics, it's a beauty.

HaHa!!! Sounds good. I'll be posting pics for sure.

Archived