Ride height on a 96

• Member Contributer

Generally speaking how low can you go in front? Measured from frame just above the bottom of the triple. to the center of the front axle.

I want to avoid messing too much with the inherent handling characteristics. I should add I have removed about 30-40# of bloat, added 07 Yamaha R1 forks and revalved 929 rear.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I would also be interested in others advice, as I am working on my streetfigher project with 954 front forks. I measured 29"1/16 from center of axle to top of upper triple on my stock suspension and am close to 1"1/4 lower with a rc51 upper triple (I can gain about half that back with the 954 gullwing upper triple but it makes it harder to mount handlebar risers). I'm thinking this is too low as the radiator is now only about 4" away from the tire...

I should mention this is just mockup stage and I haven't ridden it like this... also the stock number I gave is on the centerstand with quite a bit of weight removed (prob 40-50lbs)...

Not trying to threadjack, just adding to the discussion :)

Note: I'm also scared the of the handling consequences of dropping the front end 1"1/4...

• Member Contributer

I thiink I raised forks in triples like 30mm...would have to measure again to be sure.. also raised the tail some... it took quite a bit of that 'neutral' out of the bike... which is what I wanted. No issues at speed... no abnormal tire wear.. was all plus-plus to me.

• Member Contributer

Actually... as for my situation some research is indicating that I actually want the 954 forks approximately 19mm above the gullwing 929 upper triple which equate to about 30-35mm lower compared to stock suspension.

Karhawk... it looks like you are running 929/954 triples with your suspension, and I seem to remember the R1 forks being longer than 929 units. I'm not an expert (just going off what I've read on the internet) but I would think you could lower your front quite a bit... In fact, you will probably want to take some measurements (you could use my front end unweighted numbers to figure out a baseline maybe) and get it close to or lower than stock to account for the slower steering 929/954 triple setup. Otherwise, you could look at compensating by raising the rear of the bike if you haven't already.

From what a read seemingly everywhere the 4th VFR is set up very conservative in geometry and can handle (no pun intended) quite a bit of adjustment to quicken the steering... but I'm not speaking from experience yet.

Peace

• Member Contributer

Hi Chris, what's your measurement?? I just measured mine and it's 20" from the frame just above the lower Kosman adjustable triple to the center of GSXR axle. Also my steering head has been steepened 1 degrees. I LOVE how it handles but I go through 2 front tires to each rear(fronts toast in 1-1&1/2 K). Also measured my stock 94 and it's 21" and wears out the rear almost twice as fast as the front. My guess would be 20 1/2 would be perfect. 100_2353.jpg

• Member Contributer

I went and measured with the same method as trjerm and came up with 19"5/8 (no weight on front end) from center of axle to bottom of frame above lower triple with 954 forks, lower triple and rc51 upper triple. A little short maybe but apparently what some are recommending for my setup...

Karhawk because you are running 929/954 front triples from what I can tell they have a greater offset than the stock setup (stop me if you know all of this) and will negatively affect the handling if you are running the front end height the same or higher than stock. Considering the vfr is setup conservative to start with I think you can go quite a bit lower... how much I'm not quite sure but I know of at least two vfrd members who are running 929 front ends on 4th gens with the same height I measured and apparently no adverse affects like tire hitting radiator or twitchy handling..

Sorry for the long winded replies... Nice bike :)

Archived