which chain is recomended 2004

DaveB

• Member Contributer

My 2004 VFR has 28k on the clock and is in need of new chain. I thought I read on here that people recommend the OEM Honda chain but several places on line that I've look at don't have it available.

Can you still get a Honda chain if so where from. If not what is the recommend replacement.

The OEM chain can only be bought through Honda, I dont know why you want to spend double the price of an aftermarket equivalent. The DID zvm or ZVM2 , is the only chain Ive seen that will equal and or outdo the OEM honda chain, it will run you online about $170 to $190 .

• Member Contributer

Don't know what your level of knowledge/expertise is, but consider replacing your front and rear sprockets at the same time. You can really see how much they are worn by comparing to a new sprocket. I got this set up:

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/316755/530-steel-sprocket-set-w-your-choice-of-premium-did-530-xring-chain---honda-vfr-800f-02-12.html

I got the DID 530 ZVMX chain. Some say the Honda OEM sprockets last longer, but I went with the kit since it was a good deal.

Thanks for the recommendation I'd forgotten I'd need to do the sprockets as well.

Depends on what kind of FILM strength your lubricant has as to sprocket wear cutting metal to metal contact, and how long you ran an out of spec chain, which will damage sprockets. Im on my second front oem sprocket at 100,000 miles, but original steel oem Rear sprocket. The next chain, I'll do a Full set front and rear.

Archived