Needle in a haystack, tracking down a specific '86 VF-500

Guest lsc86

Posted this in another VF forum a while ago, figure I'd pimp it here too:

After 25+ years of street riding and too many bikes to remember, the only one I truly regret selling was my first bike- 1986 VF500 Interceptor, that I bought brand new back in the day...

Anyway, I know it's a real long shot, but somehow I'd like to find that exact bike again and add it back into the stable. I've got the VIN# still [she was a very early build '86], as I've kept the original owners manual all these years.

She was last seen around 1990 in NE IL, bone stock wearing a full Vance & Hines exhaust system and solid black windshield.....

PM me and I can verify the last few digits of the VIN if you've got a possible match.

Here in Ontario, when you want to buy a used car or bike - you go to the MOT and buy a "used vehicle package" and to do this you provide the VIN of the vehicle in question. You are then presented with the history of that vehicle - owners names and I think addresses. Maybe you could initiate something similar at your local licence bureau?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

In looking at a local bike a friend was interested in buying I discovered that there's something called Cyclechex available on the NADA site that purports to run the same kind of ownership report that Carfax does for cars. I don't have any experience with it but it looks like what you're looking for, assuming you have a record of the VIN.

http://www.cyclechex.com/lp/nadaguides/index.html?aid=4d3705ba6a61f

Archived